Tales of Vesperia Demo (360)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tales of Vesperia Demo (360)

Just booted this up straight offof the JPN marketplace and it is in full english ala Eternal Sonata.

The voices are typically American Animé style; so pretty shrill. I'd imagine that given the demo being bilingual and the Eternal Sonata having both languages on release this should have both selectable.

The visuals are superb, in this day and age of japanese games being few and far between it's always good to see a really stunning one. It looks like it's painted, much like Tales of Symphonia, this time though. It's HD BABY!
    The characters are rendered with a much more 2D style of Cell shading, much closer to the Naruto Games than ES.

I've only played TOS so I'm not sure on what they have changed since then in other games but new features to the mostly real time battles appear to be a button to Free Run.

Yeah Free Running, you can do somersaults and run up walls and enemies faces and stuff.

Actually it isn't THAT exciting, it just means that instead of being able to run left to right you can run in any direction.
    During battle if one of your party wants to heal themselves or use and item they will do so automatically, although very thoughtfuly they will ask you first and you can deny their request by press the LB.
    Made me remember how much I love decent JRPGs, I should really finish Lost Odyssey (although I still can't decide on whether I like it or not)

This is like that Blue Dragon demo, it'll end up putting a lot of people off.

Dropping players into a game with lvl 20 characters and very little clue how to get the best out of them just isn't a particularly clever way to sell a game. Sure it looks nice (not quite Sonata, but close) and ticks all the right boxes, but the combat just felt very messy to me. I'm sure had I raised these guys to lvl 20 myself all would be crystal. I hope so anyway.

So yeah, there's a possibility that the combat here sucks though it may just be me. I had two runs through the demo and both times got slaughtered at a certain point. I may have another go, and I'll probably get the game anyway, just don't expect greatness from what is only a very small slice of JRPG cake.

Comment

It was very similar to the ES demo, dump you in a forest let you pick up a few items and fight a few small things, then get owned by a boss who you don't know how to fight!

Comment

Just tried this out myself and I liked it, although some sort of tutorial would have really helped. I had to look through various menus to find out what the controls were and how combat worked! The game looks lovely very much like Eternal Sonata but I prefer the combat in this game, more real time-ish. I did get absolutely mullered by the boss at the end though

Comment

I wonder why Namco always feels the need to hire the same 3 annoying american teens to do their voices, this game better have the japanese voices included or an option to turn the voices off completely .

Comment

I quite enjoyed the demo except for the little boy's voice. I hated him in Eternal Sonata and I hate him here.

If I don't buy the game it will probably be because of that voice actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane View Post
              I wonder why Namco always feels the need to hire the same 3 annoying american teens to do their voices, this game better have the japanese voices included or an option to turn the voices off completely .
              I dunno about the other character's voices, but Rita's (Lita?) voice sounds very familiar. I think she's been in a major role in a number of games, but seeing how the game's not on imdb.com yet, I can't tell for sure.

A lot of people complain about the voice-acting in games, but I personally think they're the best they've ever been for a while. Shrill teenage voices are exactly the kinds of voices that the Japanese counterparts voice, by the way XD

Comment

Rita's (Lita?) voice sounds very familiar.
                It's the same voice actor as Yukari from Persona 3 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormtec View Post
                  A lot of people complain about the voice-acting in games, but I personally think they're the best they've ever been for a while. Shrill teenage voices are exactly the kinds of voices that the Japanese counterparts voice, by the way XD
                  Yeah i know, I guess it just helps that I can't understand them in japanese. Or maybe it's the american accent, in Dragon Quest 8 they used british actors mostly, didn't mind that at all.

Comment

I'd rather play in English were possible, but occasionally the English voices ruin it where the Japanese ones don't so much because I don't understand it

Comment

Originally posted by Orgun View Post
                      It's the same voice actor as Yukari from Persona 3 if I remember correctly.
                      That's it!! I knew I'd heard it somewhere before. I actually love her voice XD

Originally posted by Sane View Post
                      Yeah i know, I guess it just helps that I can't understand them in japanese. Or maybe it's the american accent, in Dragon Quest 8 they used british actors mostly, didn't mind that at all.
                      Well, I think that we see Japanese as cool in the same way the Japanese see English is cool. I've not actually heard any of DQ8's dub voices, but the thought of hearing mostly British accents in games is a little weird to me for some reason

Comment

Im not too keen on the visuals, it isn't much of a leap from the previous games. The backgrounds look a bit on the old average side. Im a huge Tales fan, so i'll be getting it anyway just for the combat and story alone. They were always their strongest points. Tales of the Abyss is still my favourite in the series.

As for DQ8s voices, the english voice cast totally suited it because the game has a european feel about it anyway. Its not british english, theres awhole vast use of different accents in it. Ranging from Welsh, Cockney and Scottish. Aswell as other european countries if i remember correctly. There hasn't been an RPG since its release that has ever matched its excellence. The thing is i don't think the japanese version even had voices let alone an orchestral soundtrack.

Comment

Working...
                        X