Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trauma Center: Under The Knife 2

Got this on friday from a mate who had just got back from Canada. Been spending as much time as possible with it over the weekend.

First up, it is aestheically much the same as the first DS game with a few of the pretty graphical flourishes from the Wii games thrown in. There is quite a nice intro too, with flickering graphic effects and Casualty goes jazz soundtrack. There is a lot more speech this time, albeit in short bursts like "Use the antibiotic gel!". The characters from the first game all make welcome appearances, and there is a new trainee doctor - a bloke who looks like Corrine Bailey Rae - to get to know too.

The action kicks off three years after the first Trauma Center in the fictional African country of Costigar - which sounds like a low rent supermarket chain but is in fact a war torn state desperately in need of health care. Stilesy and his nurse sidekick are there helping people hurt in attacks by guerrilla militants types. The action then moves back to Caducieus HQ and zips all over the place as the bonkers story unfolds.

The gameplay is mucht the same as the first game in the series, however there are a few new surgical tools - an air compressor (used to

blow away gas from the operating area

- don't ask) and the defibrulator which was present on the Wii but not the DS.

The game is freaking difficult in the extreme. I am only about a third into it and stuck like buggery on one particular operation. That said I know it will be do-able, I just need to keep practising. The just one more go factor means you will love this if you loved the first game, I for one am looking forward to seeing where the plot goes, and operating on some of these crazy new

NEO GUILT (lol) strains.

p.s I can't upload any pics of the box at present (unless Buster comes round with his laptop again). But the boxart is generic Trauma Center and could just as easily be the box from the first!!!

Carried on playing this last night until I had taken on board too many beers to play properly.

Still loving it - the plot and script are pure comedy gold and some of the new operations are rocking my bells. Also proper funny when you have just operated on someone and they reappear after the operation looking fresh as a daisy wearing the same clothes - to say thanks!! Have Caducieus not heard of proper post op aftercare ffs??

Particular highlight so far for me is

a liver transplant which seems deceptively easy to complete - then BLAM - some crazy GUILT spore thing gets involved and everything goes tits-up.

Am finding that some of the operations are so tense that I hold my breath and end up feeling exhausted after playing! Some of the

new GUILT strains

will have you tearing your hair out, top class game can't believe nobody else has replied in the thread tbh

Comment

yes i have been playing this for a few days. For me its very pick up and play so have not gotten very far yet, i am still in the African camp.

I have to agree with the comments so far. The games structure and overall presentation feels more polished to me. They have put a lot into the dialog of the story, if you don't like that you can just hit select and its skiped for you

If you liked the first this is more of the same buy buy buy

Comment

I've been playing this and despite it being very good to play I just wish there was an option to completely remove the story. I have no interest in the life of Dr Stiles, I just wanna mend stuff!

Good game though.
        Last edited by Dezm0nd; 08-07-2008, 11:41.

Comment

I would love an option to go through the operations "blind" i.e. with no interruptions from nurse etc. Sometimes when you are stuck on an operation but have the necessary knowledge to perform the op without prompts it is ****ing annoying having to go through time and time again with all the stupid gubbins popping up.

Comment

Yes the select button has been my best friend. As i said a lot of thought hs been put into the story but to me its a dull story. After the first 10 minutes of text thought screw this and hit select, been doing that ever since. have no idea why i am doing the ops i am but i don't care.

Comment

Could one of you guys tell us the ratio of fictional operations to real ones, by that I mean mending broken bones, not attacking aliens in the body.

Comment

6 ops in and so far all real.

Comment

Originally posted by evert View Post
                  Could one of you guys tell us the ratio of fictional operations to real ones, by that I mean mending broken bones, not attacking aliens in the body.
                  It all starts heading down
                  boulevard after

the 11th operation.

Comment

damn! And from then on is it all "attack attack attack"? Its the only thing stopping me from buying the game, as I dont want a mutant virus shoot em up

Comment

Nar it isn't like that. There is no way you can describe it as a shooter, dude!

Comment

Thar be a demo of this to download for people with US Wiis

Comment

I've been playing this a bit since picking it up and am really enjoying it so far.

Loved the first one on the DS but it all got a bit much for me towards the end and I never really finished it. After playing a few operations on the new one I dug out the first game again to compare them and the new one really is much more pleasing on the eye.

Not very far in yet but all in all a great way to spend a few hours here and there so far.

Comment

Working...
                          X