Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I've been doing the stuff on the Wii today. In spite of the WiiKey, I decided to just do the Twilight hack just so I can say I've done it

Right now the Wii's being converted to a Jap machine. There's a bit of a problem though (not really a problem), in that my Jap Wii Fit booted fine with Gecko on my Pal Wii, which never happened with my WiiKey, so now it's left me a bit confused.

While typing this, the System Menu 3.2 download failed and my heart stopped (this is how you get a brick or, at least, a semi-brick which is easily fixable, especially as I'm still on 3.1 sw), but luckily if it fails the program just goes back to the Homebrew Channel and I just ran it again and it's trying to download a second time. If it messes up this time I can just set everything back to UK and it should be cool...

Comment

And? And?

Waiting.

So is my best bet to change my JPN machine to a US one so I can understand the menu and then use the gecko for my Japan games?

Comment

Ok sorry I didn't keep you lot updated (lol you coulda asked on msn mate)

It failed both times, so I just set everything to US and tried again, but it failed then, too. It was an http error of some sort, the same error each time, so I'm not sure what to do, whether it's a server thing or not. The good news is you can't really bugger anything up by trying and failing, provided you don't reboot the Wii before setting everything back to what it should be.

Even then, you'll only semi-brick it, which is easily fixed. Apparently, the only way to fully brick the Wii is if it thinks you've never used it and tries to do the initial setup after rebooting.

Comment

I've just changed my region to US (Area and Region both US), but Shop is still UK and Video still PAL. I then tried Harvey Birdman and its working fine including picture and I'm using an RGB scart. When I had tried the game with the Freeloader and RGB scart, the screen was always tinted red, so does that mean I'm sucessfully outputtimg in RGB right?

Comment

A little update:

I changed the shop to japan and was sucessfully able to buy and downlaod a game (I got Parasol Stars ), but wouldn't let me play let unless the "Game Region" is set to Japan. It would come up with a message saying "This channel can't be used" and the only way to get out is to switch off the Wii. Changing the "Game Region" to Japan (and leaving the rest as UK/Europe settings, including firmware), I could play sucessfully but then obviously no other channel works.

However when I looked through my account activity and selected any game/channel (except Parasol Stars), it would say "The software you selected is not avaiable in the country", even though I know its avaible to buy in the Japan Shop which means you can't buy games from one region and re-download them in another region to play.

Everything has now been set back to original UK settings and got no problems form anything. THe one thing I didn't try and that was buying points form the jap store using a credit card, but definately will try considering how much cheaper the jap store sells the points!

Overall through my short experience I would say this is an excellent little app and will proberly be usefull to a LOT of Wii owners.

Comment

Thanks for that. If you're feeling particularly daring, you could try Starfall to patch your Wii to be region free (including channels) or, as shakeyjake has used, MenuLoader:

It does the same things (including channels) but it patches on-the-fly so nothing is permanent (apparently) as it's loaded from Homebrew Channel and then reboots the Wii with the hacks running. Once you turn the Wii off and on again your regular unhacked menu will be back.

Comment

This app was just what I wanted - set my USA Wii to UK, 3.2E so that the news and weather channels are useful, and used Starfall to set region-free so that I can still play my USA games. Only thing is the UK VC is crap, but I don't use the VC, so I don't care.

Comment

What do we do when the next update arrives and there's games that need the update to play? Or do we just have to not do the update and wait for the hackers to come up with the latest region mod?

Comment

Starfall has an option to "skip disc update check". I suspect this does what you are talking about. I doubt many games /need/ the features in the updates, although ICBW.

Comment

Thanks. So just so I'm clear. AnyRegion Changer can at any time (as long as the homebrew channel is working) stick the OS back to a useful version i.e. 3.2 and to a region of choice so it doesn't really matter what you do as long as updates are disabled and they can't run off the discs either? Twilight shipped on Thursday from PA so it will hopefully turn up tomorrow.

Comment

That seems correct to me. Disclaimer: If you brick it, etc...

Comment

Version 1.1 is out -

Changelog
                          1.1:

Minor fix to sysconf lib (Should fix some -24578 errors)
                          Changed Identification Routines
                          Added System Menu Region detection
                          Added intro screen/extra warnings

Comment

So would this program allows my to set just my UK Virtual Console store to US? and then set the console as region free to play all games?

Comment

This doesn't do region free you have to specify the region required. It can set your console to any region though including the shop settings.

Comment

I think it lets you set shop settings independently of main console region settings.

Comment

Working...
                                X