Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using 4.2, updated using Dop-IOS MOD instead of the official updater (though I'm not sure it makes a difference, aside from IOS patching which shouldn't be needed). I'm using the 4.2.6 version of StartPatch and applied all 5 Wii region patches, the GC game patch, Wii Channel patch, as well as the update blocking patches.

On a US Wii, I tested UK Resi 5, NSMB and Mario Kart Wii, JPN Happy Dance Collection as well as a couple of UK and JPN GC games and they all worked lovely.

Dop-IOS MOD is such a great tool for making sure you're using the latest IOS files without needing to actually update.

Comment

I'm trying to play PAL Little King's Story on my J-Wii on my Canadian TV (i.e. NTSC-only). I've tried using the GeckoOS force NTSC option but that only gives me a green screen. As entertaining as that is, I would like to play the game.

Do I have any other options?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
        I'm trying to play PAL Little King's Story on my J-Wii on my Canadian TV (i.e. NTSC-only). I've tried using the GeckoOS force NTSC option but that only gives me a green screen. As entertaining as that is, I would like to play the game.

Do I have any other options?
        Are you using component? I can play PAL Little King Story on my Canadian (NTSC-U) Wii, but I use component and use a converter to convert to RGB scart.

Comment

Your TV probably supports PAL whereas mine doesn't. Yeah, I'm using component.

To reiterate: PAL game, NTSC Wii, NTSC TV.

Comment

Your TV probably supports PAL whereas mine doesn't. Yeah, I'm using component.

To reiterate: PAL game, NTSC Wii, NTSC TV.
            No such thing as PAL colour encoding through component. The other thing I can think of is it's 50hz and 576i and your TV doesn't like that? Does your TV do progressive scan? If so, switch the Wii to EDTV.

Do you have other PAL games to try out?

Comment

some games get confused and hang if started in a video mode (PAL or NTSC, RGB on NTSC, s-video on PAL) that they are not expecting, it might just be that.

Comment

Originally posted by gunrock View Post
                No such thing as PAL colour encoding through component. The other thing I can think of is it's 50hz and 576i and your TV doesn't like that? Does your TV do progressive scan? If so, switch the Wii to EDTV.

Do you have other PAL games to try out?
                On my Wii the only output options are progressive or interlace and I use progressive. All my Japanese and Canadian games run fine. Through RCA I get a flickery black and white picture with LKS but through component the TV just tells me "mode not supported". I'm assuming this is the TV not liking a 50hz input.

I have no other UK games to try as I didn't think it would be clever to buy more and have them not work either.

Although...My J-Wii normally outputs 480p, would LKS try to output something else?
                Last edited by kryss; 19-01-2010, 18:53.

Comment

On my Wii the only output options are progressive or interlace and I use progressive. All my Japanese and Canadian games run fine. Through RCA I get a flickery black and white picture with LKS but through component the TV just tells me "mode not supported". I'm assuming this is the TV not liking a 50hz input.

I have no other UK games to try as I didn't think it would be clever to buy more and have them not work either.

Although...My J-Wii normally outputs 480p, would LKS try to output something else?
                  I'm think in that case that maybe it's outputting 576p...

Edit - actually no, the Wii only does 480p (even on a PAL console).

Actually, and this may be a stupid question, have you tried starting it throught GeckoOS without the force video mode options switched on? And secondly, which version of GeckoOS are you using?
                  Last edited by gunrock; 20-01-2010, 07:59.

Comment

Hopefully a simple question - I have a US wii running 3.4 firmware with homebrew channel installed to play pal games via Gecko.

What do I have to do to get access to the shop channel? if I try to launch it at the moment it says I need an update, which I don't want to download in case it knobbles my UK/US gameplaying or bricks my console.

I don't particularly care whether I get the US or UK store (should I care?) - I just want to buy a few games and to do it the simplest way possible. All this talk of permanent region changes, cIOS, DOP-IOS, safe updates and suchlike are making my head spin and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance guys!

Comment

Originally posted by charlaph View Post
                      Hopefully a simple question - I have a US wii running 3.4 firmware with homebrew channel installed to play pal games via Gecko.

What do I have to do to get access to the shop channel? if I try to launch it at the moment it says I need an update, which I don't want to download in case it knobbles my UK/US gameplaying or bricks my console.

I don't particularly care whether I get the US or UK store (should I care?) - I just want to buy a few games and to do it the simplest way possible. All this talk of permanent region changes, cIOS, DOP-IOS, safe updates and suchlike are making my head spin and I don't want to screw it up. Thanks in advance guys!
                      I was in a similar position. I own a PAL Wii, running System Menu 3.4E and the Homebrew Channel c/o the Twilight Princess Hack.

I got around this by installing Wii System Channel Updater (aka WiiSCU) and running it via the Homebrew Channel, then using it to update the Wii Shop Channel itself and the IOS61, which is all-important for running the Shop Channel. It worked a treat, and I can now get around the need for a Wii System Menu update to use the Wii Shop Channel. I recently used the exact same procedure to get around the recent 4.2 update.

All that said, I did it on my PAL Wii. It should work fine on your NTSC-U Wii, but I couldn't tell you for sure. On you and your Wii's heads be it if you take the plunge!

Comment

Great answer. Shop channel now up and running! thanks.

Comment

I have a 3.4E wii, hbc etc, what should I be using 'nowadays' for best results? its been ages since I did it. I did have 4.0 on it before but I downgraded, is there any better way to have the latest firmware but still have homebrew support? I've heard of bannerbomb but not tried it personally.

Comment

Since you already have hbc on your system you can update the system menu without using the official way. Tools such as Dop-IOS MOD lets you update your system menu, make sure you have the required IOSes installed first. However, i don't know if the rebooter feature, in geckoOs, still works with firmware 4.2.
                            To be honest keep the hbc and GeckoOs updated and you should be fine for the time being, unless you want to use the SD(HC) feature for storing channels, VC and wiiware games, in that case an update would be useful.

Comment

Anyone know how to install USB Loader GX on 4.2e? Keeps telling me I have stubs present but dop-IOS can't remove them

Comment

Got a bit of a problem with my Wii now in that the HBC keeps loading to a black screen. I'm not sure as to whether or not the Wii has automatically updated itself though as I can't remember what version I was on it was that long since I've used it last. Not tampered with it or anything.

Anyone know what's up? Am currently using firmware 4.1E

Edit: Seems to have booted up after the 4th attempt, is telling me there's an update for it but it fails each time I try and run it.
                                Last edited by Daragon; 01-03-2010, 22:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X