• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taka View Post
    http://o2mms.net/

There you go, bud.
    Thanks, Taka.

I downloaded a couple of apps today. Took the plunge and spent £5 on Critter Crunch, and I've got to admit, I'm highly impressed. Fine graphics, great sound and probably the most addictive and original puzzle-based gameplay that I've seen in a while.

The IGN reviews app is also impressive - used it to watch a short but very fine-quality video of the Samba De Amigo Wii review (over a 3G connecion on 2.1 firmware). Why can't YouTube videos replay over the 3G connection with similar quality?

Also downloaded Shazam (a no-brainer as I use their mobile phone service a fair bit), Last.fm & the "proper" version of the Facebook app. Haven't used the first two much and the Facebook app has more to it but doesn't seem as polished as the web app version does, but it's early doors. Will find some more (mainly free) stuff to download tomorrow.
    Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 21-09-2008, 07:23.

Comment

I installed Movies the other day. Nice app. Shows cinema times near you, as well as having trailers for all the recent movies and dvds (freebie).

I bought Visual Radio (although its name seems to change on each of the different screens?!?) the other day... 59p and plays all the internet radio station you see in iTunes. For the money you can't really grumble, but it is buggy as hell and some of the screens crash all the time. Still, it obviously has more variety than say Last.FM (which I also have installed).

I also use the Facebook app a hell of a lot.

Comment

I've taken a plunge on a lot of recent iPhone games:

I would also like to recommend Real Football 2009 as mentioned earlier. What an absolutely superb little game! Controls very very well and I can't even stand football.

Asphalt 4: Elite Racing i've also spent quite some time on. I'm about 25% complete through it and I have to say it IS very very fun. The handling will initially take a LOT of getting used to and i'm finding that the game's best played touching the sides of the screen for steering. Spend some time with this one and you will enjoy it.

Pole Position Remix is very simple, and best played with Slider controls, but as a homage to the original Pole Position it's good fun, though as to how much longetivity it has, I don't know...

Critter Crunch is a great little puzzler too, I know that was mentioned earlier aswell.

Now this one's an odd one, but MetalAngel. I know it's got horrible reviews on the store, but the reason i'm recommending it is because the developer is taking the comments onboard and actually updating the game regularly. It started off slow, rubbish weapons, just not any fun at all. The developer has since listened to the criticism and sped the game up, made the weapons more powerful, made the entire game a little bit more intense and fun to play.

It's still got a long way to go, but I have no doubt the dev will add those final little touches and bug fixes to make it a very enjoyable little shooter.

I also thought i'd risk buying Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. I was skepical at the first chapter of the game. I wasn't sure what to think, whether it was any fun or not. However as more force powers start coming into play, the game starts to get very, VERY addictive, and this pretty much took up most of my work shift today... I'll probably do a first play thread for this one.

Comment

Also forgot to give a shout-out to Tap Tap Revenge. Essential if you like your Guitar Hero/Rock Band-style music rhythm games. Works well on the iPhone, has a 2P mode (both players use opposite ends of the iPhone), an online high-scores table and downloadable content in the form of extra tracks. Only downside is that it currently doesn't allow you to use music stored on the iPhone, but here's hoping that a future update can change that.

Comment

Touch 'Em is pretty cool. It's like a really frantic zoo keeper/animal match game. My wife is addicted to it. The game title is a bit pervy but it makes sense when you play it. Cheap too.

Comment

I fancy downloading a Wikipedia App for my iPhone. Which one should I get?

Wikipanion is unofficial, but it is free and appears to be the most popular one, but iWik is the official App made by Wikipedia themselves and is available for 59p. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the latter has been the subject to poor ratings and reviews solely down to the fact that you have to pay (a pittance by iPhone App standards) for it.

Anybody on here with either one of these?
              Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 23-09-2008, 10:07.

Comment

Well, I would try the first one, and if you dont like it, then consider paying for the 59p...

Comment

I didnt even know there was an unnoficial one! I got the official one and think its really handy on a lunch break or something!

Comment

Quick grumble, we applied for iPhone Developer status 3 weeks ago and are still waiting. I've been a registered Apple Developer for about 8 years and have 20+ years in the industry yet Apple still won't let me put my own apps on my own phone. This sucks.

I've started developing my game already but it relies heavily on the tilt functionality so the iPhone Simulator is of little use.

Grumble over. I still think the iPhone rocks.

Comment

Chris Field has experience of the iPhone Developer "protocol" .. and has been waiting much longer than three weeks.

Don't understand why they are so slow processing applications to be honest.

Interesting link FSW, take a look when you have five minutes.

Comment

Very interesting DH. Have bookmarked that one. He got his initial responses much quicker than me. I had to wait 2 weeks just for Apple to ask for some paperwork that I don't have. I've now waited over a week for a response to my "I don't have that paperwork. perhaps there's some confusion over the type of application I put in?". The issue is that every time you respond you go to the bottom of a 10 day-deep pile and have to start again.

Comment

Yup. I've been waiting more like 3 months and have only just been asked for the paperwork (the Company Incorporation certificate). I faxed that across to Cupertino last week, and am probably at the bottom of that pile again.

I would be happy if I only had 10 day waits between hearing from them.

I did read on one of the dev forums that if you phone them and complain that you get shuffled through the system a lot quicker. But I dont fancy calling America for an argument.

I am part way through developing one of my apps, and Apple's attitude isn't exactly motivating me to work faster.

Comment

It took around 6 weeks for me to get developer status, including some email prodding. As I recall it went a bit faster once I'd reached the paperwork stage, so hopefully you'll get there soon!

Comment

Funny how ranting on here seems to work... Paid up now and good to go!

Comment

You'd be amazed who reads these forums !

Comment

Working...
                                X