Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

personal video player

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum
    I am looking to get something to watch my videos on (mostly tv stuff).
    Not sure whether to get a PSP 300 (and have the added bonus of games as well although not a deciding factor) or an ipod touch or another make of mp3/4 player.(budget definately under ?200).
    all opinions greatly appreciated

Well I can only tell you about the PSP and iPod Touch as I have them. The Touch is fantastic. I absolutely adore it as a music player, portable browser and more. Videos look great on it but it comes with one massive negative - it's really fussy about the file format. It seems to only play mp4s or whatever they are specifically formatted for the Touch and, to be honest, that's a pain in the ass. There are user-friendly converters out there, which work well, but I'm sure there are video players that can play far more formats and you can just drag and drop in.

So if you're thinking about a Touch, keep that in mind.

The PSP, you know, I'm not sure. It used to be very fussy about formats too but, with firmware updates, it started to get less and less fussy. Because I don't keep it with me much any more, I haven't used it for video in ages so can't be sure where it's at. Which I guess doesn't really tell you anything. The Touch is so much smaller than even the recent PSPs, and yet with a great screen, that size would be a factor for me.

Comment

I've been relly tempted by the new Cowon players recently, apparently the video and audio quality is amazing, good range and info here

Comment

damn more choice now
        PSP - nice big screen + games but very bulky and heavy and have to re-encoded everything and uses memory cards.

IPOD Touch - nicer aesthetics and useability but have to re-encode everything

Cowon S9 - nice aesthetics, plays all formats out of the box, long battery life but controls are supposed to be fiddly

all about same price

Thanks for the input so far has anybody any other recommendations?

or personal experiences with any of the players

thanks
        Last edited by rickt; 15-02-2009, 12:21. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
          I've been relly tempted by the new Cowon players recently, apparently the video and audio quality is amazing, good range and info here

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/
          I have a previous generation Cowon player, the A2. I love it, same resolution screen as the PSP, but much less fussy about formats and a 30gb harddrive. I record stuff from Sky onto my MythTV box and have it transcode to 480 x 272 DivX (usually about 1150 - 1250 kbps CBR, extreme quality) and watch them on the train. It can record from the Sky box direct, but the quality is 1000 kbps at 640x480, which is a bit low for that resolution.

The amazing thing is it has 10 hour battery life for video and 18 for audio. It's brilliant to watch 3 movies or so and a bunch of audio on one charge.

Also has a text/quasi PDF viewer, radio and obviously a MP3/FLAC etc music player.

I wouldn't be an early adopter (like first 6 months) of their stuff as the early releases are as buggy as hell, but over time it stabilises.

Comment

have decided to go for the COWON S9 8GB mainly because of the AMOLED screen, the fact that it plays back most file formats without encoding and its battery life is longer thsan the IPOD Touch (I felt 8GB was big enough as I can fit about 15 hours of tv which more than covers the battery life).

In the end the size off the PSP was a major factor and encoding.

The only downside of the IPOD Touch was the re-encoding (but after having to do this in the early days off the PS3 i realised what a chore this can be)

Comment

Ordered the S9 monday afternoon (amazon marketplace which was advancedmp3players.co.uk) it arrived wednesday morning. The thing is tiny (smaller than expected) the AMOLED screen is amazing, still getting used to the touchscreen controls. Took it out of the box charged it (around 3 hours for complete charge with usb wall charger for 11 hours of video or 55 hours of music), then did a firmware update which was painless and then just dragged and dropped about 7.5GB of video (which took about 8 minutes to transfer). So far I am pretty impressed with it.
              I have to thank the people here for nudging me towards cowon I did not realise the were such a large and well thought of player in the PMP market.

Comment

glad you like it, I am well known amongst my friends as a bit of a tech pimp !

Comment

Working...
                X