No announcement yet.

Dodgy advertising techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a particular dislike for those adverts with 'celebreties' in them.

Examples.

Parky, the trusted old man, promoting Axa lifeinsurance for the over 50's. Same with June Whitfield.

Voderman, the clever girl come good, loans.

The hardfaced bint out of Taggart, some debt problem scalpers.

Yu wouldn't mind so much of these were best in category products but they're not, usually overpriced pap.

The most honest one is probably Iceland - makes you fat and for broke chavs like Katona. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
      There are lots around with regards to food

"all fruit strawberry and banana smoothie"
      (60% grape juice)

"natural fruit smoothie, no added sugar or sweeteners"
      (grape juice again, it's a great natural sweetener)

"added calcium"
      (mixed in some chalk)

"xyz yoghurt/cheese has as much calcium as a glass of milk"
      (that's because it's concentrated milk. If your kid isn't getting enough calcium there's somthing seriously wrong with his diet, I've never heard of kids lacking calcium in the modern age. Vitamin D deficiency is more likely)

"with added vitamin xyz and iron"
      (none of which will be absorbed by your guts and will be pissed straight out)

"one of your 5 a day wholegrain"
      (there is no recommended amount of wholegrain, you do not need it in your diet. You can still call something wholegrain whilst removing the part of wheat that's healthy and just leaving in the rubbish)

"new improved recipe"
      ('improved because it costs us less to make and we can still charge you the same!')

"healthy eating"
      (we added more water to the food, increased the salt to compensate then reduced the size of the meal by 50g so we could make it seem low fat and low calorie)

"omega 3 oils"
      (don't get me started)
      Urgh the fruit smoothie place in Aberdeen., EVERYTHING has orange in it, probably a good 70% too. Orange is a bloody boring taste outside of chocolate orange

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
        The most honest one is probably Iceland - makes you fat and for broke chavs like Katona. ;-)
        Euch I really hate their adverts, from the chavvish nature of them to the sexist (and pro-family) 'thats why mums go to iceland'.

Comment

Originally posted by cutmymilk View Post
          Virgin's is fair enough. Because it is faster (if you can get it!)
          But they mislead you with wording, giving the impression that they're the only ones using fibre optic technology.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyD View Post
            The ones with food irk me in particular because they play on people's fears, insecurity and ignorance. The Great British Public eats a tragically poor diet, is being constantly reminded and goaded about it by the media, government health advertising and advice etc, and yet lacks the knowledge to do anything better about it.
            I'd wager it's probably more to do with apathy than lack of knowledge.

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez
            Parky, the trusted old man, promoting Axa lifeinsurance for the over 50's. Same with June Whitfield.
            Now they have Iggy Pop selling car insurance. Never ever thought I'd see the day.

Comment

Surely the worst is Johnny Rotten selling butter.

Comment

85% of 32 women agreed there was a noticable difference after using our face cream.

With boswelox
                With pentipeptides
                With pro vitamins

thank god I'm not a woman, I'd go crazy thinking I should be using one of these, but which one! etc

Comment

Kernow's post reminded me of an advert I saw not long back.

Again I can't remember what exactly it was for (so the advert clerly succeeded) but it proudly boasted that over half the people surveyed preferred this product to whatever their leading competitor may have been.

This would all be well and good except the tiny disclaimer text across the bottom read "52 out 100 people surveyed preferred[product]" or some other ridiculously poor advantage such that the results were so negligible as to be utterly meaningless.

Actually maybe it was cat food so I doubt they would have surveyed people but I guess cats, but still the principle is there. I think.

Meh I should be in bed anyway...

Comment

All advertising is shoddy.

Comment

And kids quoting TV adverts... your kids need telling that adverts are all complete f*cking bull**** - in those words.

I know I'm going to have to have TV again if I ever have kids, I'm not that extreme as to not allow a TV in the house. I'm not really looking forward to the amount of explanation I'm going to have to come up with given the current quality of on screen garbage that's spewed out. If it isn't some stinking bull**** lies and product propaganda it's Jade fat f*cking Goody and all her f*cking bull****.

I miss a lot of good stuff staying away from TV, which is a shame as I used to enjoy watching nature stuff and documentaries. Ray Mears is a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidFallows View Post
                        And kids quoting TV adverts...
                        Everything's great at your Junes

Comment

I abore majority of daily adverts as I seem them over and over. Alot of the worst ones are the beauty ones with tags like Laboratoire Garnier which means a poxy laboraty that they test crap on things with take care (get bent I always shout at end). Nutrisse it means nurished f patronised much. Its proven what is? 7 signs of aging which are what exactly? Top right corner you get a flash of how many people they actually tested this things on in their surveys and its it usually says things like 80% liked it where I always look at it then that 20% couldnt tell any difference and hated it then. Then you have the sexy Christie Turlington doing the adverts for the eyelashes for an exact amount saying how much they grow what do they do go to every woman on the planet and show em......oh no they say up to dont they which means nothing.

Then you have the cleaning ones ie kills 99% of germs dead. SO your saying it leaves 1% to breed all night for some salamela fun in morning then. How do you know its exactly 99% or 99.9% who says? Also seen one say it kills flu pml I dont think so somehow if we could do that we wouldnt have it.

Then you got the stupid ones with healthy bacteria tags. Their cock you have over 10% sat their in your body everyday even if you have a crap diet like me you dont need it...mmm danone mmm f off I shout at end lol All the tags like that have zero meaning their non statements but people buy them everyday especiallly these and the 5 a day tags. If your genuinly ill your going to need shots simple as that like B12 etc.. shoving vitamin pills or taking crap like that wont make you any healthier or save you and their unregulated so they can say any old rubbish they want with em.

Then you have the supermarket ones where they pretend, so you have the actress what used to be in corrie now pretending she is really a shop assistant. Doesnt show the real life that when shes walking home from that small market town all the other shops are now closed cas its gobbled em all up or customers going ape because soon as they got rid of the competition they stopped stocking the items and put the prices up. Or her being told if she dont work the night shift they will sack her lol

And all the insurance adverts etc.. what say could save which again meaningless statement as you might as well say but also could not. The scummy people like Parky and Vorderman what sell dodgy insurance and high rate loans.

Its why I refuse to watch live telly as much as possible so I can skip it all.
                          Last edited by Guest; 20-02-2009, 03:44.

Comment

AGE DEFIANCE CREAM or whatever the hell its called.

When will they realise getting old is part of life.

'Keeps surgery at bay - for now .. '

Last edited by kernow; 20-02-2009, 04:12.

Comment

There was a really good episode of Charlie Brookers screenwipe on TV recently regarding advertising. I wonder if its on youtube. Describing how they use words like 'fights' and 'appears' instead of 'stops' or whatever. One example being you could fight a brick wall all day and get nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2IoYaldEI ahh here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTGzx...eature=related -- more relevant regarding the lies they get away with.

(contains swearing so probably NSFW)
                              Last edited by kernow; 20-02-2009, 04:12.

Comment

The one that gets me at the moment is Nell McAndrew (looking like Bridgett Nielson but with a Yorkshire accent) banging on about `digestive transit`.

Comment

Working...
                                X