No announcement yet.

Dodgy advertising techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble is that without the advertising we don't get the programmes (unless it's a BBC license-type affair). The net's the same and is only going to get worse.

Comment

Quality rant from Dazzy there, I approve

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
        Surely the worst is Johnny Rotten selling butter.
        I had a dream last night with Johnny Rotten in it. Only he couldn't speak because he'd had a stroke. That is all.

Comment

We have Sky+. We watch the programmes we are recording 15-20mins after they start. Then we fast forward through all the ****ty adverts (i.e. all of them) and carry on watching! In your face adverts!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
            There was a really good episode of Charlie Brookers screenwipe on TV recently regarding advertising. I wonder if its on youtube. Describing how they use words like 'fights' and 'appears' instead of 'stops' or whatever. One example being you could fight a brick wall all day and get nowhere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru2IoYaldEI ahh here we go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTGzx...eature=related -- more relevant regarding the lies they get away with.

(contains swearing so probably NSFW)
            Jesus, I had that exact same model typewriter. I couldn't actually lift it.

Comment

Blimey, I hope this thread did you some good Dazzy. Sounds like you really needed to let off some steam. Either that or you exploded while pressing submit....

Comment

How about the new goddamn asda ad's?! What happened to the people patting there ass at the end? Now you have some cheep arse "Flash player" arrow depicting all kinds of bollox!
                "4985 items Cheaper" CHEAPER THEN WHAT??

Comment

Originally posted by C' View Post
                  Actually maybe it was cat food so I doubt they would have surveyed people but I guess cats, but still the principle is there. I think.
                  That reminds me. Why do they try to make pet food sound appealing to humans? We're not going to eat it; it looks and smells like sh*t, and no amount of nonsense about "succulent meaty chunks" is ever going to make it sound appealing.

Comment

Did you know that those Country Life butter adverts with Johnny Rotten have increased their sales by a whopping 85%?! Source: Guardian.

I love adverts where they put a disclaimer saying things like:
                    "Penelope Cruz's eyelashes enhanced with extensions"
                    "Davina's hair is accentuated with extensions"

I also love make up adverts because they always put in a science bit.
                    "Unique pro-retinol elastin formula". eh?
                    They could be saying: "Amazing H2O formula!" and the chicks would lap it up!

I actually find the psychology of adverts quite interesting.

I also like the Cadbury's ad where the kids' eyebrows are kicking it old skool...

Comment

And what the hell's going on in that Pantene advert?!

Mylene's not in that white bikini...

Comment

I may be crazy but, I think I saw an advert where a piece of wheat is coming out to its family and gets embraced by his mother and congratulated by his father?

Speaking of Mylene, there was an ad in the Metro this morning with multiple Mylenes all wearing different clothes (I guess its was Debenhams?) - You know how when you have a group shot of some women and you first see the ugly one and then skip on to find the fit one - it almost sent me crosseyed and a little sick.

I hate adverts.

Comment

Originally posted by BeyondJumpFish View Post
                          How about the new goddamn asda ad's?! What happened to the people patting there ass at the end? Now you have some cheep arse "Flash player" arrow depicting all kinds of bollox!
                          "4985 items Cheaper" CHEAPER THEN WHAT??
                          There was an article in The Independent yesterday about this. Apparently ASDA haven't used what they call the 'pocket-tap' for about 18 months but are bringing it back. I don't know why they are bothering, I personally find it to be one of the most f*cking annoying and nauseating things on TV!

Oh look, ASDA are patting there fat arses again, I simply must go and start shopping there again

Comment

Why is that "news"? Unless you are interested in Asda shares I guess.

Comment

It was in the business section

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                                "Davina's hair is accentuated with extensions"
                                They should also add "The voice in this advert is not really Davina's mother"

Comment

Working...
                                X