No announcement yet.

Seen any good Kung-Fu flicks of late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Isn’t action that’s been sped up undercranking? It’s filmed at fewer frames per second so that when it’s played at normal speed everyone’s going far quicker.

Comment

Yes undercranking - I specifically checked which way round it was and still wrote "over". Sorry.

Comment

Damn bastard. Your word fu is ****.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Also, not everyone can read, so I want things accessible.
          As someone who has a blind sister I really should have thought of that. I’ll punish myself tonight by playing Xenon II until bed time.

Some action stuff is shot at a lower speed like 12fps then sped up to 24fps. That is just a blurry mess when it’s played back.

TA you’re right about even the original language version of a lot of HK films being dubbed but at least it fits. When an actors mouth moves and the words you hear don’t fit it breaks the immersion for me. At least with subtitles you process the sentence quickly and see the actor facial expressions and body language corresponding to the words.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
            At least with subtitles you process the sentence quickly and see the actor facial expressions and body language corresponding to the words.
            Yeah. I do like some of those old English dub's mind. What I hated was the aspect ratio and how in the old days most of the Kung Fu films were only 4:3 on VHS, until Made In Hong Kong really started to change that

I know Jackie Chan uses a lot of undercranking and why he usually hated making films in America like with The Projector. You can clearly see the difference in the action

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              What I hated was the aspect ratio and how in the old days most of the Kung Fu films were only 4:3 on VHS, until Made In Hong Kong really started to change that
              That's just because we're old enough to remember 4:3 and VHS!

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                That's just because we're old enough to remember 4:3 and VHS!
                LOL, I loved the VHS days and miss the local rental store

Comment

Some kung fu films are still only available on 4:3 vhs, with burnt in subs sliced off. The Judicial Sword and Flexible Judge Pao are outrageously difficult to read!

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    Some kung fu films are still only available on 4:3 vhs, with burnt in subs sliced off. The Judicial Sword and Flexible Judge Pao are outrageously difficult to read!
                    Yeah it's a pain that the likes of The Victim isn't on DVD

Comment

Trying to work my way through my backlog and finally unsealed Chinese Zodiac.

Armour of God is probably my fave Jackie Chan film. I think that kung fu Indiana Jones idea really clicked with me and the fight scenes at the end are monumental.

I also enjoyed Operation Condor, but less so than the original.

I was originally hyped that Chan was returning to the character of Asian Hawk, but the reviews weren't kind.

Basically, it's perfectly watchable and plenty of fun, but the plot is bobbins and the majority of the action is muted by obvious CGI or wirework.

It's impressive that Chan can continue to find inventive ways to fight using props and scenery after all these years. His fight using the photography equipment was fun, and he caned his back whilst shooting it judging by the customary outtakes. At least he didn't nearly die like in the original!

Nice fight between Caitlin Dechelle and Zhang Lanxin, too.

Comment

It’s not a classic but I fair enjoyed Chinese Zodiac. The boarding down the road scene is seriously impressive.

Comment

I forgot to say in my review that I've not forgotten that he was a lot older when he made CZ12 than AoG!

It's weird though, it's like a different character. It's not Asian Hawk, it's his character from The Tuxedo or Spy Next Door.

It just seemed to lack that peril from the predecessors.

The boarding suit bit was really inventive and funny, you're right.
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 09-09-2019, 13:28.

Comment

I must admit I forget just how old JC is these days. Can’t expect him to crank out awesome action movies forever.

Has anyone seen that Wu Assassin thingy with the awesome Iko Uwais? Man what a waste of talent. I couldn’t watch past the second episode. Seeing Mark Dacascos in the first episode was pretty cool though.

Comment

Not watched it as it's all a bit magical for my tastes.

Will definitely watch a bit, though, to make my own mind up.

My friend has worked with Mark Dacascos a couple of times and says he's one of the genuinely nicest people he's ever met.

Can you imagine the set of John Wick 3 with Dacascos and Reeves just glowing positive energy?!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post

Can you imagine the set of John Wick 3 with Dacascos and Reeves just glowing positive energy?!
                                I haven’t seen any John Wick films. Couldn’t even have told you Mark Dacascos is in it.

Comment

Working...
                                X