No announcement yet.

Christopher Nolan's INCEPTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Funny you should mention low budget version, Nolan originally toyed with the idea.
    Good interview here...
    Christopher Nolan’s new thriller about a gang of dream-stealers combines the mind-bending puzzles and epic scale of his earlier films 'Memento’ and 'The Dark Knight’. He talks to John Hiscock .

Oh and best film I have seen this year, FOTY.

Comment

Watched this today at the IMAX, awesome film. Such a unique concept brought to the big screen with stunning results.

Comment

Originally posted by Family Fry View Post
        Funny you should mention low budget version, Nolan originally toyed with the idea.
        Good interview here...
        Christopher Nolan’s new thriller about a gang of dream-stealers combines the mind-bending puzzles and epic scale of his earlier films 'Memento’ and 'The Dark Knight’. He talks to John Hiscock .

Oh and best film I have seen this year, FOTY.
        Thanks for the link.

I'm glad there's finally been a decent film this summer!

Comment

Yup, film of the year. I'll admit before hand i was worried that i might get lost in the plot after reading some reviews, but i didn't. Its very simple and nolan marks out every layer clearly. In regards to the snow section, nolan did say he was influenced by bond films and i think it helps as an indicators to separate dreams within dreams. Aldo love the ending cut to black!

Comment

Yeah, I guess by the snow layer he needed something to visualise that - he'd pretty much done "standard" urban, interior and exterior, by then.

I too had heard it was heavy going and complicated, which is a sad indictment of the current state of "blockbusters". There's nothing difficult to follow here, though plenty of layers to getyour teeth into if you wish; but they're optional. The story is clear, and actually treats the audience as intelligent adults

Comment

Weirdly...

Hola all. Massawyrm here. Let me be absolutely, 100% percent clear about something upfront: I think INCEPTION is a great film. And while I do not agree with many of my colleagues who have ascribed such words as “brilliant", “genius"...

This sums up a fair bit of my opinion of the film. Though, I don't think the characterisation in the film is intentional, it's weak in all the Nolan films I've seen (a concern for Superman). Regardless I'd say it's in my 2010 top 3, not sure about the top spot though, need to mull that.

Comment

Thought it was great. Incredibly creative and convincingly carried out.

Would say that it perhaps seems a bit too slow in some parts of the final third and that Ken Watanabe's character was a bit too unbelievably noble but those were the only slight critisisms I had. Other than that, strong contender for film of the year.

One last thing:

Can Hollywood (and TV) please stop aging people with Latex. They don't look like genuine older versions of people, they look like people wearing masks.

*edit*

Read that article. My thoughts:

the ending is a bit of cheap joke by the creators, there's no reason to think it isn't real other than the fade to black

Last edited by abigsmurf; 17-07-2010, 13:15.

Comment

Interesting AICN news article. I had no issue with that - in fact, for my money, it was the best way to go. The only way imo.

I do however agree that people are too quick to label the film "a masterpiece". Great film as it is, repeat viewings may not hold up well at all (though I hope they do). And yes, some of the characterisation wasn't as strong as it could be.

And yes, there's a strong chance that the whole movie is a dream, and he's stuck sub-limbo going ever further down. Good filmmaking, leaving multiple interpretations.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    Read that article. My thoughts:

the ending is a bit of cheap joke by the creators, there's no reason to think it isn't real other than the fade to black
                    Actually there are plenty of reasons.

When he's recalling their time in limbo, they're young, but later he says they grow old and you see that. But when they left via the train, they were young again. And how does killing yourself get you out of limbo? That far down, you need a "kick" right? A sense of falling. Though it could be a literal leap of faith. And as was said in the movie, it's odd how he goes from location to location, being chased by mystery corporations. And after a repeat viewing, I wonder if there's a case for his team being all different traits of one personality. They all behave in the same somewhat languid manner.

Comment

I disagree with the guy from ainitcool. I thought the final shot was ace.

is the whole thing a dream of leo stuck in limbo? Ellen page never actually makes a totem, so i think shes the key. However i do think cobb got back because he saw his childrens face which he had forgotten because he'd spent so much time in limbo. Plus if they are all constructs of his imagination then its a much cleverer film than i thought

zero g fight is amazing though.

Comment

I saw it in IMAX yesterday and thought it was astonishing

'Ellen page never actually makes a totem'

I vaguely remember a scene with her inscribing something into a metal chess piece? Whilst this is not seen again, is this not her totem?

Last edited by Mercian; 18-07-2010, 08:17.

Comment

Originally posted by jezzace View Post
                          I disagree with the guy from ainitcool. I thought the final shot was ace.

is the whole thing a dream of leo stuck in limbo? Ellen page never actually makes a totem, so i think shes the key. However i do think cobb got back because he saw his childrens face which he had forgotten because he'd spent so much time in limbo. Plus if they are all constructs of his imagination then its a much cleverer film than i thought

zero g fight is amazing though.

She does make a totem - the chess piece she's drilling out in one scene.

Regarding the faces, his wife says she can show him their faces when he's in Limbo, so no reason he can't see them if he's "further down".

I'm not saying he is lost in a dream, but it's nice to have a bit of ambiguity there

Comment

Don't know why you guys like this film. According to Armond White, this film is ****.

Seriously, read his review, it's brilliant. It definitely is not written by a thesaurus-obsessed chunder jockey. Paulos will love it, it's full of big words thrown together to make him appear learned. But Paulos won't like the missing capital letters. Oh no.

White is the world's greatest living contrarian. Although I hear he disagress with that assessment.

Then marvel at his film criticism history.

Then hope he falls in a sewer.
                            Last edited by prinnysquad; 18-07-2010, 10:15.

Comment

I dont know what it is exactly, but I was really unimpressed by this. I suspect a second viewing would be far more enjoyable, I think Ill give it another chance when it gets a home release.

Comment

Isn't

Leonardo's Totem actually completely and utterly worthless?

Think about it. The totems are so you know you're not in a dream controlled by someone else, it's pretty obvious that Leo's totem is that it keeps spinning so it would be trivial to fool him.

It's not even any good as a "I'm not in my own dream" as his subconcious would make it fall if he wanted to not be in his dream bad enough

Comment

Working...
                                X