Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSVita (Successor to PSP, was PSP2 then NGP)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PSVita (Successor to PSP, was PSP2 then NGP)

After having just read the rumours on a next generation Nintendo DS or a DS2 i felt i should post this link on Sony's Rumored PSP2 that is said to be SLIGHTLY MORE POWERFUL THAN THE FIRST XBOX:

Find in-depth gaming news and hands-on reviews of the latest video games, video consoles and accessories.

So if both the rumors on a new Nintendo handheld and a new Sony handheld are true could we all be playing games like Shenmue/Mario Sunshine/Final Fantasy XII in the palm of our hands. I for one would not only enjoy playing what the new technology would have to offer in terms of game design, new ideas as well as improved graphics and game worlds but also the thought of the next gen handhelds having the power to emulate old classics such as the N64 & Sega Saturn would be enough to convince me to buy them.

Obviously another talking point would be what storage media would Nintendo & Sony go with for a new gen handheld system. Could we see no external storage media at all due to both machines using a download service to buy/play games which were stored on an internal Flash Drive or Solid State drive of some sort?
    Last edited by Brad; 17-09-2011, 13:35. Reason: Title update

hydra is a technology regarding combining multiple gpu's from different manufacturers together for increased performance.

Plus we could play shenmue in our hands already, people have already admittted the iphone 3GS is faster than a dreamcast and has more storage. .

hype thread. I mean even the DS could emulate an N64, it has already pretty much

Comment

Looks nice on paper, but it would fail in the EU due to piss poor support software wise from Sony and its current gag (psn)

Comment

Originally posted by kernow View Post
        Plus we could play shenmue in our hands already, people have already admittted the iphone 3GS is faster than a dreamcast and has more storage
        No handheld currently available is capable of emulating the Dreamcast well enough to play Shenmue 100% or even anywhere near perfect. Yes im sure the Pandora is technically powerful enough to run a game like Shenmue but seeing as we are never going to see Shenmue re made for another console especially not for the Pandora then emulation is the only hope of playing it and currently only a respectable spec pc is capable of running NULL DC or CHANKAST (DC Emulators). As for the Iphone 3gs being powerful enough it mabee close to being capable but it will never happen.

And as for the DS whilst it does have Mario 64 that looks arguably better than the N64 version it hasnt got anything like an Ocarina Of Time or a Goldeneye on and dont think it could handle conversions of either.

And as for saying its a hype thread there has been more talk of a PSP2 in the media than a new Nintendo handheld and a thread of that is already up.

Comment

Woohoo. Ridge Racers 3. I'm in.
          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

And yet more information on the PSP2 printed just last month:

Comment

Originally posted by Sam The Man View Post
              No handheld currently available is capable of emulating the Dreamcast well enough to play Shenmue 100% or even anywhere near perfect. Yes im sure the Pandora is technically powerful enough to run a game like Shenmue but seeing as we are never going to see Shenmue re made for another console especially not for the Pandora then emulation is the only hope of playing it and currently only a respectable spec pc is capable of running NULL DC or CHANKAST (DC Emulators). As for the Iphone 3gs being powerful enough it mabee close to being capable but it will never happen.

And as for the DS whilst it does have Mario 64 that looks arguably better than the N64 version it hasnt got anything like an Ocarina Of Time or a Goldeneye on and dont think it could handle conversions of either.

And as for saying its a hype thread there has been more talk of a PSP2 in the media than a new Nintendo handheld and a thread of that is already up.
              Why would you need to emulate a dreamcast to run shenmue? any hardware nowadays is able to run that if it was coded for its own hardware.

Comment

Running natively on the Iphone I'm not entirely convinced at the moment the iPhone could do Shenmue. On paper it could but I'm not convinced it could in reality. It's a gaming machine second and that usually results in limited bandwidth and high latency in key areas. It also has the overhead of the iPhone OS to deal with.

Back on topic. I'm buzzed about both consoles. It'll be interesting to see how powerfull the PSP2 is.

The smart thing for Sony to do would be to splash out on a really nice screen. I think it'll probably be a 4" WVGA (854×480). In terms of graphics performance I'd expect about xbox levels maybe slightly better. Hardware FSAA, more polygons and more texture memory would make a vast difference from the PSP

There is one thing Sony really really want to avoid: having a system that can easily be ported to the DS2. Lowest common denominator ports will hurt them badly.

Comment

Why would you need to emulate a dreamcast to run shenmue? any hardware nowadays is able to run that if it was coded for its own hardware.
                  What im saying is Shenmue is not going to be re-released or coded for any hardware thats capable of playing it because it isnt in high demand. For example you have the PSP which for years people bought purely so they could mod it and play old PS1 games on and only now at the end/ish of the PSP's life has Sony decided to put lots of Classic PSP games up on the PS store for people to buy. The PSP has also been good for open source emulators like PICODRIVE that allows you to play megadrive games.

I think the PSP2 should be powerful enough for people to play Sega Saturn games like Panzer Dragoon Saga, N64 games & mabee even Dreamcast games like Shenmue 1,2 & Skies Of Arcadia very close to 100% in time. At present there is no chance for people to play old classics such as these on anything other than a respectable spec pc or the original xbox which is a giant.

Basically the PSP2 is a very exciting prospect as not only would we have top of the range hardware which would give developers a chance to express themselves to the best of there ability and create a new range of quality titles but we would also have a machine that could offer us the ability to play some old classics like Sega Saturn, N64, Dreamcast and possibly in time even PS2 games in the palm of our hands.

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                  Running natively on the Iphone I'm not entirely convinced at the moment the iPhone could do Shenmue. On paper it could but I'm not convinced it could in reality. It's a gaming machine second and that usually results in limited bandwidth and high latency in key areas. It also has the overhead of the iPhone OS to deal with
                  Spot on abigsmurf.
                  Last edited by Sam The Man; 14-11-2009, 22:58.

Comment

ok...

Comment

ok...

lol i didnt mean to go on but surely you can see how much potential the PSP2 has?

Comment

lol i didnt mean to go on but surely you can see how much potential the PSP2 has?
                        Makes no difference though if it has all **** games like the psp. eh?

Comment

ok...

Yeah, same here Shane.
                          Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

I can see how much potential the PS5 has too.

Are you 15 or something?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoDragoN View Post
                              Makes no difference though if it has all **** games like the psp. eh?
                              Thats unfair.

GTA VIC CITY STORIES
                              GTA LIBERTY CITY STORIES
                              GTA CHINA TOWN WARS
                              TEKKEN: DARK RESURRECTION
                              SOUL CALIBUR: BROKEN DESTINY
                              TEKKEN 6 (on the way)
                              WIPEOUT PURE
                              BURNOUT LEGENDS
                              RIDGE RACER
                              MOTORSTORM: ARCTIC EDGE
                              DAXTER
                              FINAL FANTASY: CRISIS CORE
                              FINAL FANTASY DISSIDIA
                              DISGAEA 2: DARK HERO DAYS
                              JEANNE D ARC
                              FINAL FANTASY TACTICS: WAR OF THE LIONS
                              PATAPON
                              LUMINES
                              FIFA 10
                              METAL GEAR SOLID: PORTABLE OPS
                              METAL GEAR SOLID: PEACE WALKER (on the way)
                              SYPHON FILTER: DARK MIRROR
                              SID MIER'S PIRATES
                              SOCOM US NAVY SEALS: FIRETEAM BRAVO

thats 2 dozen great games available for the PSP and of all genres so everyone will find something to enjoy.

Comment

Working...
                              X