Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone been to New York recently and know customs times?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone been to New York recently and know customs times?

I am going to be going to New York at the end of March and well basically I arrive in JFK at 10.20am presuming everything goes to plan, hopefully it will be earlier!

However I need to get to Penn Station by 12.45pm.

Is this going to be possible or am I just dreaming?

Any info would be great as I am getting varied viewpoints so far.

My experience with New York (and US airports) is that it takes about an hour to get through customs.

2hours 25mins.... Theoretically possible but I'd say it doesn't leave much margin for error.

Comment

If it was an hour that is better news than I have had so far, which should see me making a mad dash like you say but if I go prepared at least that gives me some hope now!

I guess it is just down to the day and what happens and making sure I don't have too much rubbish with me that could cause problems.

I should be basically assuming I will be late?

Thanks for the reply, someone told me in their experience it was definitely two hours, at least I am not on a jumbo so less people!

Comment

I've been to JFK a few times... the shortest immigration took was about 75 minutes, the longest almost two and a half hours. Yeah, it's busy...
        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

When you say 75 minutes do you mean to get to your transport or actually the second you got through?

Thanks for the info : ) Although that should be : ( as now I am not going to be there on time.

Comment

Just to hijack the thread, I too am going to New York shortly.

Any particularly good gaming turf?

Comment

Theres a GAMESTOP near the Emipre States, There is NintendoWorld also worth visiting, Some ace retro stuff to see though i didnt think purchasing hardware or software was cheap there.

Comment

How are you planning on getting to your destination after customs? Taxi? Subway?

In my experience getting anywhere in NY take twice as long especially at peak traffic hours.

Can I be nosey and ask why you need to be at that destination pronto?

Comment

Originally posted by kurosaki7 View Post
                  When you say 75 minutes do you mean to get to your transport or actually the second you got through?
                  That's from the moment I started queuing until the moment I passed through the gate having been approved by one of the agents...
                  Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I was there in September and got from the plane to a taxi in about 45 minutes, but I landed at like 12:30am and was near the front of the plane. Once you're through immigration it wouldn't take long to get to Penn Station, though. You can go there directly on the AirTrain/LIRR or just pay the flat rate taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan ($45 plus tolls IIRC).

What you're looking at is certainly possible, but you need things to go your way. It's not something I'd be looking forward to doing after a long flight

As for punio's question about games, there are plenty of places to buy them. The Gamestop/EBs in the heavy tourist areas are busy, but I bought some stuff in a quieter one a couple of blocks north of the WTC site. Best Buy often has offers on new releases, and there's one of those on Fifth Avenue and a less manic one just off Columbus Circle.
                    Last edited by NekoFever; 02-03-2010, 23:36.

Comment

Originally posted by punio75 View Post
                      Any particularly good gaming turf?
                      For video game shops, take a look a Google maps and print this bad boy off!
                      There's a few cheeky retro shops in there like VideoGamesNewYork.

If you're looking for arcades, the Chinatown Fair Videogame Arcade seems to get positive reviews. It's to the south of Manhattan Island, so after a helicopter/ferry/Statue of Liberty trip you could pop in!

As for the time it takes to get from the airport, I think you're pushing it. Sorry! We had loads of time set aside for our trip back to the airport, but heavy rain meant that the roads got clogged pretty quick and we ended up cutting things a little fine.

There's always lots of traffic and airport security is understandably stringent.

I hope it goes smoothly for you, though and have a great time!

New York is an amazing place - I proposed to my wife at the top of the Empire State Building (she said "yes", so I pulled her back in from holding her over the side by her ankles...).

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and information, it has helped heaps.

As for not looking forward to it after a long flight, I am in Paris overnight beforehand too, but having been stuck in Singapore for 16 hours and going to Australia and back with virtually zero jet lag I am hoping I will have the energy!

I will definitely be taking the Airtrain over roads to avoid any traffic problems, now to just finish planning what to do on the days and wish the days away. Thanks again!

Comment

I second that, thanks for all the information.

My missus just asked if we need a visa, I don't actually know.

I don't do I?

Comment

Punio, you should be fine without a visa, presuming you are a uk citizen, you will get a green visa waver, whilst on the plane, also depends where you are flying from aswell. UK is on the USA's buddy list

Comment

Unless you've been arrested or convicted of a criminal offence, UK citizens do not require a visa.

Comment

Working...
                              X