BT/new line installation issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BT/new line installation issue

Just thought I'd ask in case anyone's got any tips/advice.

Basically, I've just moved into a new place. It's a new build, but someone had been living in it for 6 months before us. All the phone sockets are in (along with satellite, TV etc.), so I had assumed the previous occupant had had telephone/internet service.

Anyway, it's taken about a week of calls to BT to finally establish that there wasn't a line previously installed and it's taken multiple phone calls to get the address to show up properly on BT's system so that they can get an engineer round to install the line and set up our phone/broadband.

So, my problem is the bloke on the phone yesterday quoted me that it'll be 3 weeks until the engineer can come round (22nd March), and that it takes longer for new builds, for some unspecified reason.

Given that all the sockets (and I imagine all the wiring- this is a brand new apartment building with all the communications stuff incorporated) does anyone know what BT actually need to do? I'm thinking it's just some work at the exchange and switching us on. In which case, I'm at a loss why it'll take 3 weeks. I know BT's a massive outfit, but we do need the internet connection for work etc.

Anyone got any pointers/tips for ringing them back and trying to get it brought forward? Also, anyone know (Dirty Sanchez possibly?) if Sky can do the whole shooting match quicker. Having spoken to Sky initially, they say they can arrange the line installation themselves. Realistically, would they be able to do it sooner, or are they reliant on BT engineers for that anyway? The building also has a communal Sky TV connection already in, with a socket in our front room, if that makes any difference.

Phew- bit long, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any pointers because BT have got right on my tit end with this.
    Last edited by endo; 02-03-2010, 09:18.

A new line to a new build probably involves physically running a line from the local switching box. It'll be a few hours work for an engineer. Then the line's got to be added to their systems and activated for ADSL.

Should be possible to be done quicker but the delay is probably largely down to them finding a slot for an engineer to work on it. Sky might be able to fit it themselves, just make sure it doesn't mean they lock you in to using them.

Comment

Well, this is it. Initially, I just thought let's just go with Sky for everything, i.e. telly, phone and internet. But having read up on Sky's broadband service, I think I'd rather go with BT. Or is there really that much difference? We live about 0.5 km from the exchange too.

Previously, all this was moot because I was on NTL/Virgin cable for 10 years at my last place.

Comment

Any company that uses a standard phone line (i.e. not cable) get the service from Openreach and it will be Openreach who will confirm to your service provider when they will have an engineer available in your location.

It's different with cable companies as they run their own networks but will generally choose to only supply to more heavily populated areas rather than nationwide and because they will choose areas where they know they can supply a certain they are usually able to run with advertising that states they have an higher average speed than the companies using a standard telephone line.

I think two to three weeks seems to be pretty standard for Openreach to be honest.

You don't have to get your line installed via BT as all communication providers have the option to arrange the service via Openreach but some don't as they understandably would rather that BT sort all this out for you as quite simply, you could cancel your order at any time and they'd rather not pay advisors to deal with somebody who isn't yet a customer and not yet giving them money.

Don't let any company tell you that they can't install a line for you, they may well have chosen not to but that's what it is, a choice that simplifies their job and reduces their expenses.

I'm not sure if Sky is one of the companies who take on the responsibility themselves or not but they'd obviously be able to tell you.

There shouldn't really be much of difference with your broadband between companies as again they are all able to supply exactly the same service via Openreach. They'll use the same line & the same exchange hardware so technically there is no difference.

Anyway, back to the appointment. You can certainly try rearranging it closer to the activation date but it is unlikely that which ever company you use will be able to do that.

Comment

As an aside, I ended up using a 3G dongle to get a connection on my (work) laptop as it took over 12 weeks for the DSL to get hooked up.

Comment

Working...
          X