Goal line technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Goal line technology

Another incident in the Leicester - Coventry game just now (not a goal despite what Gary Speed says!) but FIFA seem to have put the brakes on introducing it. I don't get how a series of cameras in the crossbar and possibly also the posts wouldn't resolve the problem, no Hawkeye, no sensors, just cameras.

I agree, saw the incident myself and both the ref and linesman/assistant had a VERY difficult decision to make on the spot. The problem of the existing TV camera views is that they are not perfectly in line with the goal and this was a perfect example of how difficult it still can be even with cameras. With the best view of this incident the point where the ball touched down was obscured by the post/crossbar.

I'd have said the ball definitely had some goalward angle as it was coming down
    but whether where it touched ground fully over the line you just couldn't tell. From the angled (halfway line?) TV camera frontal view it looked over.

FIFA definitely need to come out of the dark ages on this, cameras could easily be fitted inside the posts. However the reasons against it apparently aren't technical, the excuse I read is that it was essentially one of cost and practicality. The fatuous reasoning being that if it couldn't be applied across the board at all levels of the game, pro and amateur, it therefore shouldn't be used even at the top level.

When you consider that they're talking about the success/failure of multi-million pound businesses hanging on these incidents it is incredible the big clubs haven't challenged FIFA's decision.

Comment

They say they want the game to be "the same" at every level, but already it clearly isn't. At very low down grass roots football they sometimes won't have enough people to be the linesmen, the managers don't have technical areas, there are loads of things like that which are different.

They also say that they don't want to open a can of worms, as if they have video replays for one thing, when other mistakes happen people will start calling for it's use for nearly every decision and ruin the speed of the game. Well if they're worried about that, like said above, use a hawkeye style system on the goal line and video need never get involved in the first place.

Comment

They could have 100 officials surrounding the pitch and Chelsea still wouldn't get a penalty in Europe.

Comment

Working...
        X