Quality Spirits Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quality Spirits Thread

beer has its own thread but in truth I've never been much of a beer drinker, so thought I'd start a thread in honour of my new favourite gin, and to discuss all things spirit related.

being a gin drinker has undergone a bit of a transformation in recent years with many new niche premium products coming along and offering an alternative to the fairly nasty established brands like Gordons and Bombay Sapphire.

It also looks like vodka is undergoing a similar transformation.

For a few years Tanqueray Ten has been my fave gin, with Millers Westbourne & Junipero running a close second, the I picked up a bottle of the wonderful Sacred Gin and to be honest it trumps them all, its incredibly smooth (can be drunk neat) and for me now takes pole position :-

I also have an uncracked bottle of this badboy which is getting good press

Anybody else got some non-supermarket spirit based recomendations ? We need a thread to lead people astray

boru vodka. very good.

Single barrel JD

Comment

I'm a sucker for single malt whisky. wish I could try some of the really expensive stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        Single barrel JD
        Curse you for saying that first!
        Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Single malts for me too although I've not strayed beyond the ?30 offerings at the supermarket. Time to explore methinks.

Comment

Balvenie Signature 12 year old is really nice

Comment

homemade sloe gin......
              maybe not quality though.

Comment

Wild Turkey for me, Rare Breed and Russell's Reserve. Plus the standard ones, and American Honey too.

Comment

Single barrel JD is great but not my current fave, that would be the lovely Yamazaki - http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-2943.aspx

You can pick it up in Tesco for £20 when in the deals. It's one of the smoothest whiskys I've tried.

Comment

if you want to make your fingers and toes and all other extremities go numb in a very short space of time bacardi 151 does the job, its an overproof 75% golden rum, quite fierce as the strength alone means that's hard to avoid but goes well with coke

bought but not tried yesterday a bottle of Black Seal overproof rum, another mental 75%

I did, purely in the interests of research, sink a few G&T's using Sacred Gin last night and its firmly my new fave gin, beautiful stuff.

Gerry's in Soho is your friend if after the weird or hard to obtain stuff.

Comment

Single Barrell JD is good but as nothing compared to the mighty Maker's Mark. Do the Pepsi challenge if you don't believe me.
                      Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.

Comment

Southern Belle bourbon, less than a tenner in Aldi, is sweet, vanilla-y goodness. Even non-spirit drinkers have found it quite pleasant, I've found.

Barring a few minatures in the house, it's all I have.

Comment

Grey Goose Vodka goes down rather well

Comment

I can now personally recommend black seal overproof rum mixed with ginger ale and a twist of lime, a surprising light and refreshing drinky with a lethal kick to it when you go to stan up.

Comment

I got a few more for my Wild Turkey collection for my birthday.

Comment

Working...
                              X