Budget 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budget 2010

I searched for a thread but couldn't find one.

Whats everyones thoughts? Does anyone care?

Here is a Summary:

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

For me, its just a case of the same things going up in price...

Booze is more expensive. Vague promises of more loans and tax breaks for business. Rich pay stamp duty for poor. No major changes.

Just passing the buck of tax rises and budget cuts to the next government. Gotta love them playing politics (especially the Ashcroft hunting tax evasion measure) at the expense of the economy.

Comment

Cue massive rush on cider tonight.

Pretty much as expected to be honest. The getting rid of stamp duty for first time buyers up to ?250,000 is welcome (although a complete overhaul of the stamp duty system is needed).

These days budgets are just small changes trimming the edges of the economy. There's not been a truly significant budget for years.

Comment

Petrol's gone up over 5p in the last fortnight here, thank goodness he held off on the raise on that!

Comment

Seems the changes to stamp duty will have a net cost of £150mill a year. Aren't we supposed to be cutting back on spending?

Comment

£4 rise in child tax credit for parents with young children from 2012....
            2012??

Comment

The 10% increase on Cider shocked me!?

Comment

Hiking the price of cider isn't exactly going to win them favour with their core voters.

*winky smiley etc!11*

Comment

Pretty irrelevant budget if the Tories get in and hold their emergency one.

Comment

Agree Brats, the stamp duty system is a joke. Needs to be tiered like income tax instead of a fixed cutover.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                      Seems the changes to stamp duty will have a net cost of ?150mill a year. Aren't we supposed to be cutting back on spending?
                      No, Labour's (and the Lib Dems) economic's policy is based on keeping Government spending high for a few years to increase growth quicker. Once growth is back high again, they'll scale back and pay off the debt. Their concern is that if we cut back too quickly, we'll slide back into recession.

The Consevatives think it is better to pay the debt off now in case investors are scared off by the high level of debt.

To be fair, no-one knows which policy is best and both parties have some major economists supporting their argument.

Comment

?385m to maintain road network
                        I seriously reckon they need at least half that to sort out the roads on my route to work.

Comment

According to the BBC's budget calcultor I will be a massive 18 quid a year worse off with this budget. I think I can live with that.

Comment

Apparently we're going to be ?5.21 a year better off.

Back of the net!

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
                              According to the BBC's budget calcultor I will be a massive 18 quid a year worse off with this budget. I think I can live with that.
                              Ditto! ?18! Mostly due to petrol.

Comment

Working...
                              X