Stupid, stupid iTunes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stupid, stupid iTunes

Sorry if there's a dedicated thread for iTunes, but couldn't find it.

Anyway was using iTunes on my laptop last night with no bother.
    Today i now get a message when I open up iTunes "The folder 'iTunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the 'My Music' folder."

'My Music' folder is on an external 1TB HDD. It's still there, so it's not like it was deleted by mistake.

iTunes won't open at all, i just get that message. I cant copy my music folder over as its way over 100GB and i've only a 60GB HDD in the laptop.

So how do I get iTunes to see the folder if I can't open iTunes... argh!

Have you tried re-installing itunes?

Comment

Wasn't sure if that would wipe all my music, movies etc. Will give it a go if you say it wont.

Comment

Sorted. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by spinpug666 View Post
          Sorry if there's a dedicated thread for iTunes, but couldn't find it.

Anyway was using iTunes on my laptop last night with no bother.
          Today i now get a message when I open up iTunes "The folder 'iTunes' cannot be found or created, and is required. The default location for this folder is inside the 'My Music' folder."

'My Music' folder is on an external 1TB HDD. It's still there, so it's not like it was deleted by mistake.

iTunes won't open at all, i just get that message. I cant copy my music folder over as its way over 100GB and i've only a 60GB HDD in the laptop.

So how do I get iTunes to see the folder if I can't open iTunes... argh!
          I had a similar problem when I deleted the stupidest named folder in the world Bonjour (Who names a folder Bonjour!!!). Hence I had to reinstall iTunes too after this problem.

Comment

Bonjour is Apple's zero-config networking protocol.

Comment

I've recently just bought an I-phone 3gs so have to install iTunes to send data to the phone. What a load of **** that software is!! Way too slow, pain inthe arse to use and low on features. Is the Mac version just the same or have Apple made the windows version poor for a reason?

Comment

I was talking to someone about this yesterday. He normally knows what he is talking about. He said itunes actually ports large amounts of MacOS with it with is why it's so huge. For example, instead of just using the windows font engine, it brought the Mac one with it. So if you turn off font AA in windows, in iTunes it will still AA

Thus why it's so unreliable (in windows).
                Last edited by charlesr; 02-04-2010, 07:55.

Comment

It's funny, because I don't use iTunes or own an iPod simply because I don't have a Mac and always thought both of those would work better with Macs than PCs.

It doesn't seem like I'm wrong in thinking this either...

Comment

There are alternatives to using iTunes for music at least such as Mediamonkey
                    I try to avoid using it if at all possible.

Comment

Itunes is an utter POS. It failed installing on one PC but it leaves a load of crap on your PC if it doesn't fail gracefully that make it impossible to reinstall it.

Slow to load, has a horribly convoluted interface for simply dragging and dropping stuff on an ipod outside of playlists.

Comment

It's a little convoluted I'd agree, but the only issue I've ever had is incomplete files failing and then not being able to redownload them.

A quick google solved it though!

It's a bit resource heavy mind you.

Comment

My hatred for iTunes on a PC is cosmic. Slow, bloated, does whatever it wants... bah, just don't get me started.

I also tend to use Media Monkey for tagging / organising things - it's not brilliant but it does the trick (and what you tell it).

Comment

Good timing with the thread. Just bought an album but it has only downloaded half of it, I've tried the "check for available downloads" option and also tried buying again but it warns me that I will end up with duplicates - does this mean I'll end up paying twice too?

I agree, iTunes is absolutely shocking. I've hated it ever since I first downloaded it...but i must admit I've never looked for alternatives.

Comment

on the main page of itunes store click account and there may be an option in there.

and yes Itunes on PC is balls and I don't believe for one minute it just because I'm runnning slow and geeky windows 7.

Comment

Working...
                              X