The Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Election

The date has now been confirmed at long last as May 6th.

Going to be the tightest election since before Labour came to power, probably the first election I imagine a good number of people here will participate in that won't be an easy Labour win.

At the moment we're heading towards a hung parliament (no party has a clear majority meaning they don't have the power to act by themselves), which has the downside of a potentially indecisive government but will also give disproportionate power to the smaller parties (in particular Lib Dems but also the SNP).

Keep the debate civil please

I'm torn between Tories and Lib Dems (an odd position to be in). I think the Tories would get rid of a lot of bureaucracy that has infected the Government but I don't trust them to repeal some of the draconian legislation introduced under Labour.

Lib Dems would likely get rid of laws if they had enough power but I simply don't think they could actually run a government. Too many of their key policies are reactionary. Just look at their election slogan: "Change that works for you. Building a fairer Britain" it's basically the Labour and Tory slogan mixed together.
    Last edited by abigsmurf; 07-05-2010, 09:17.

I'll have to think very carefully about who I vote for. Labour are terrible. There's so much that doesn't appeal to me about the Tories that they're a no-go. I hate voting tactically. It's all bad.

What I do know, though, is that my wage bracket will be hit the hardest by whoever gets in. It always is.

Comment

I can't see Labour winning this. People are sick and tired of them, and rightly so.

That said, the Tories don't appeal to me in the slightest. Like you say, it's hard to trust them. However, they appear to have the media on their side; Cameron is never out of the papers these days and he's often presented in a "pally" light.

Lib Dems sound good in theory, but in practice, who knows?

We're screwed whoever gets in, tbh.

Comment

I'm selling my vote. I need £90 to pay for exams, so I'll vote for whoever you want, if you give me £90.

EDIT: or a tenner, whatever

Comment

Loathe to vote at all. I don't trust any of them.

Comment

I also have no idea which way to go. labour are in need a huge kick up the arse but I cannot stand Cameron. I need to look into each party in more depth but to be honest I don't think any party will fully convince me.

We just need a common sense party.

Comment

Well, I won't be voting Labour... we really need a change. Probably end up going for Lib Dem, as I have much more respect for Clegg and Cable than I do for Cameron and Osbourne. That, plus they're always getting written off as some party that'll never get into power by various people from the other two main parties, aswell as critics. Would love them to be proven wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                I'm selling my vote. I need ?90 to pay for exams, so I'll vote for whoever you want, if you give me ?90.

EDIT: or a tenner, whatever
                You realise you can get arrested for this kind of thing right?

Comment

Cameron and Ozza come across as the greasiest, sleaziest pair of creeps I've seen for years, real Uriah Heeps. Urgh.

Comment

Always voted Lib Dem in the past but might tactically go for Tories this time.

I'm particularly interested in defence so if a party pledges to scrap Trident, cut MoD wastage (particularly in procurement) and complete a full strategic review with nothing excluded I might go for them.

I like the Tories pledge to go for an average of 100Mbps BB for the country. Anymore tech related policies would also interest me.

Agree that Cameron and Osborne are not the most trustworthy characters. They also seem light on details and heavy on bandwagon jumping.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                      You realise you can get arrested for this kind of thing right?
                      That's a load of horse**** though! I'm allowed to be persuaded by everything EXCEPT money? that doesn't make any sense. Especially when you consider all the money being spent on campaigns. Just cut out the middle man and give me the money!

Comment

I remember when Labour got voted in, the 'Things can only get better' vibe they created but looking back I can't believe I ever voted for Blair.

Thing is, I just can't vote for the conservatives, I trust them even less than Labour. As someone mentioned the media seems to be backing them and if they do win I'm quite worried about what they will do.

Probably vote Lib Dem again as I have done a few times since Labour have been in power but I often get the feeling it's a wasted vote.

What's sad is that the media have so much power in determining the winner.

Comment

Originally posted by noobish hat View Post
                          That's a load of horse**** though! I'm allowed to be persuaded by everything EXCEPT money? that doesn't make any sense. Especially when you consider all the money being spent on campaigns. Just cut out the middle man and give me the money!
                          A millionaire could go to a few marginal seats and promise to pay enough people in a few locations to win the election. Would you like, say, Rupert Murdoch having the ability to do that?

Comment

Let's be honest. Politicains haven't exactly covered themselves in glory recently and most of them have the personality of a potato. This makes it incredibly hard to know who to vote for in my opinion lol.
                            Labour are rubbish (I liked Blair - he had personality and prescence), I don't trust the Conservatives, I hardly hear anything about the lib dems etc

Comment

Rupert Murdoch is practically doing that already, just in a less direct way, and everyone is voting for monetary reasons in the end anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X