Anyone here work in the games industry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here work in the games industry?

I'm an artist and I got made redundant last year from my last job and I still haven't got a new one which is seriously starting to piss me off now. I'm in the north west which is a real ball buster as there's literally nothing here.

so anyone in the forums work in the games industry and know of any openings for an artist within commutable distance of manchester?

Luke

The resource for people who make and sell games.

There are people who work for companies here but the chances of them having a say in recruitment, needing an artist and being within commuting distance of Manchester are probably slim.

Just keep sifting through the recruitment sites.

Comment

yeah, I know. I've looked everywhere. This time last year I was turning down jobs. now it's totally screwed. I think maybe I should try something new. it's a **** business.

Comment

Loads of games companies out there. I finish my computer animation degree in a few weeks and will be starting to send off applications to every country in Scotland for starters. Just find every company in the area you'd be willing to travel to and send a portfolio etc.

Comment

Get in contact with a recruiter. Aardvark Swift got me sorted when I got made redundant earlier this year.

Comment

all things I've done. I think what it boils down to is the north west being a total deadzone at the moment. I'm signed up with about 6 agencies at least. aardvark swift used to be good. they got me a job in the past but when you call them now they just tell you its dead. sadly, the fact that I'm in a relationship and my partner has a job here makes it really difficult for me. I can't expect her to quit her job so I can get a job in some place that will likely fold in under a year and where the wages arent even that great anyway.

bollocks.

Comment

Originally posted by boxhead View Post
              bollocks.
              Indeed, I'm glad I never went down the games industry route (had a great opportunity once but didn't want to move because I was a sissy). I'd be a wreck without at least a small sense of job security. Nothing stresses me out more than trying to find work, mainly because I've got very little experience in doing so as I've only had to find a new job once in my 13 years.

Comment

what do you do dave? 1 job in 13 years is absolutely amazing. i need me some of that. I've had 22 jobs in 12 years.

Comment

I've actually had four jobs, pal...

97-00: Apprentice/senior web design artist during my NVQ study. This was a mock interview lined up by school, however the MD liked my enthusiasm that much he gave me a job.
                  00-03: Web/print/marketing design artist.
                  03-05: Self-employed doing all the above.
                  05-present: working at a CLC, producing interactive materials for education and all sorts of other things.

The only time I had to search for a job was after being self-employed and during my stint at Gamestation, the other time (my 2nd job) I was poached. I've only ever had three job interviews, with one of those being a full-on formal affair (when I went to Amsterdam).

Later this year I'll be leaving my job and moving to Singapore with absolutely no prospects lined up. I'll have 8 weeks to find someplace willing to employ me and get me through the work permit application, or else I'm potentially coming back home to nothing apart from my savings. The design industry in Singapore is as fickle as the games industry here, with various 6 month openings dotted around - I'm not looking forward to it tbh but that's what the power of the pussy does to you.
                  Last edited by dataDave; 21-04-2010, 10:24.

Comment

Well, I could think of worse places to attempt to start a new life than singapore. I think its a cool place and furthermore everyone speaks english so thats a boon as far as interviews go. I take it you've been there lots before? Did you go to the night zoo?

Comment

I find the best way to the get into the industry is to go on a public forum and say it's rubbish

Determination, attitude and drive. The only things separating you from everyone else really.

Comment

I've never been, no. The GF just got a job there though (same field of work).

They have arcades, that's all I need to know really.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          I've never been, no. The GF just got a job there though (same field of work).

They have arcades, that's all I need to know really.
                          Burnley will miss you zapping their bandwidth on Warcraft Dave

Comment

If you haven't already tried there is freelance work available to cover you while you are looking. Be it through a freelance company, with indies or individuals looking for piece's.

You could also throw some bits up on content marketplaces like turbosquid.

Comment

There are always scores of bedroom/indie coders after artists. Just be careful making sure it's someone commited (or at least you know for sure you'll get paid).

Comment

Working...
                              X