Job Interview thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Job Interview thread

I'm hoping for some words of wisdom. I've applied for a new job via a recruitment agency and I've been immediately put through for a phone interview with the employee. Now I believe they have some reservations about me . The job I'm applying for will basically have me training other people to do a job very similar to the one I do now and although I'm very experienced in my own job I don't have a vast experience if training related things on my CV.
    I'm not entirely sure how I should approach the questions that are likely to be asked of me regarding the training side of things. Any advice anyone?

If you get in there first and raise it with them - the fact that you are very keen on the role and willing to fastrack though a few sessions on training with their assistance - they should be impressed with your honesty and drive. Lean heavy on your on the job experience and show them you are a people person.

Comment

Try to remember that they are human beings, sure they will be after the best man for the job but they don't expect you to be superhuman.

Be honest, tell them how keen you are about the role, think of how much you want the job (ignoring financial issues) and explain to them, you will sound keen and as though you a actually want to work for the company, which always goes down well.

Comment

You're having an interview with the employer not the employee ;-)

I'd follow Sanchez's advice fella. Best of luck matey!!

P.S. I got a job as a college leturer once despite having no teaching experience at all. All they cared about was that I knew the subject matter so these might just be checking out how well you communicate generally.

Comment

I'm a trainer by profession so I can give some advice.

Training is all about change - changing people's knowledge (and getting them to remember it), changing behaviour or changing skills. However training isn't the solution for everything - some people you can train forever and they will never change.

Different people learn in different ways. There's tons written about this, but the main thing is that you have to be aware that people learn from different styles and you have to be able to cover all of them. Some people like learning the theory (theorists) whereas others prefer a much more practical, straight talking approach (activists). There are others too like Pragmatists and Reflectors. Most people are a mixture of two.

Some people like face to face training, some are happy reading a book and some like web based training. The key buzzword in training at the moment is 'blended', where you use a mixture of learning styles and tools to deliver training so that everyone gets something out of it.

For example, in my company we have recently put all staff through some financial crime training. Most of the back office staff did an online training module and assessment, but the Account Execs who go out on the road would never stand for that, so we ran some face to face sessions for them and made it more lively.

The other things that are needed when you are running a successful training programme are:

TNA (training needs analysis) - where you find out exactly what the staff need (I find interviews with a few members of staff works well here - some firms use questionnaires but I find they can give false answers)

Training objectives - every training programme must clearly list what the objectives are. they should never be 'to understand process X' because what does understand mean? It is best if they are 'To be able to demonstrate that you can follow process X without any errors'.

Assessment - confirming whether the knowledge has stuck. Multiple choice tests can be useful here.

Evaluation - getting staff feedback on the training. A lot of trainers use feedback forms at the end of the session, but these are useless as most people just want to get out and will just tick 'excellent' in every box. the best evaluation is speaking to the staff and their managers a week later and recording their answers.

Hope this gives you some ideas. There's a huge amount of theory on training preparation, delivery and systems. It's worth looking at thye CIPD website and www.businessballs.com for some more help.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
            some people you can train forever and they will never change.
            Good lord I hear you there mate, that can be very frustrating to begin with as well!

One thing I always find important is that you have to remember every person you'll meet is different. You could have one piece of information that needs telling to two people, but the manner in which you do that might need to be very different. People skills and the like.

Comment

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The skill of a trainer is to identify this and engage with everyone.

And unfortunately not everyone can train. Someone might be the world authority on a particular subject, but if the audience is falling asleep after 10 minutes of listening to them, it's not going to be of any benefit.

Comment

I shoud add that 'training' is a slightly old fashioned term. The current title is 'Learning and development' (although I still call myself a trainer).

This section of the CIPD website might be useful:

Comment

Aye - make sure you let them know you have no experience with training people but you are willing to learn.

The Mrs. has been applying for the position of Art Director at various (well, over 150) agencies in Singapore, she's been totally honest about her lack of experience in the field so through her enthusiasm loads of places have offered her a junior art director position instead. She's chosen the Alchemy Partnership, who are fair Billy-Bigtime I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Brats View Post
                    I shoud add that 'training' is a slightly old fashioned term. The current title is 'Learning and development' (although I still call myself a trainer).

This section of the CIPD website might be useful:

http://www.cipd.co.uk/subjects/lrnanddev
                    In Royal Mail the buzzword for it is "Coaching". Slightly more friendly Americanisms for the win sirs!

Comment

Good stuff guys, this is getting absorbed and added to my notes!

Comment

I agree with Dave's point about showing your enthusiasm. It might help to say you would like to take the CIPD CLDP qualification. It is the recognised industry qualification for trainers (it used to be called the CTP until recently). It cost around ?1,600 when I did it (which the firm should pay for) although that was a fast track programme which costs a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                          Good stuff guys, this is getting absorbed and added to my notes!
                          Don't forget to hit them with some one liners and "ZzzzZing" replies to any stupid requests they have.*1

Also be sure to say you are an avid gamer and forum moderator. This will show them you have a "Can Do" attitude and are experienced in leadership.*2

*1 After all, if they can't take a joke, who would want to work with them?

*2 Everyone knows that Gamers are the smartest people, wide awake at work, dedicated, hard working and switched on. If they ask, be sure to say that you are an avid Facebook & Twitter user, and find the 2-3 hours a day used at work on this really help you keep in touch and understand people. Good social skills are again top dollar for a Trainer. You might like to ask if they have any policies blocking social networking & what speed their web connection is.

-------------------------

Alternatively, just be yourself. Take your time answering questions & be honest about your strengths & weaknesses. Ask you closest friends and family what your strengths and weaknesses are, so you at least show yourself to be a somewhat reflected person.

Above all, GOOD LUCK Borris!

Comment

Not convinced by the call today, the guy interviewing me clearly wants somebody with a background in training, I honestly couldn't answer some of the things he was asking me about. I knew of them thanks to Brat's post and the CPID website but it really did feel very L&D specific.
                            I think his expectations are perhaps a little unrealistic as it appears he want someone who with a background in training but who is experienced at my job too (I work in optics) and unless he manages to find either one of my own company's training staff or a rival firm's he ain't going to get many.
                            Last edited by EvilBoris; 21-04-2010, 15:03.

Comment

Well how wrong was I!
                              They were impressed I didn't try and blag/answer the things I didn't know about and and I've got a proper interview. Sweet

Comment

Working...
                              X