Happy St. George's Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy St. George's Day

Who'd have thought it was St. George's day, eh?

I thought they were doing their level best to sweep it under the rug, due to the obscene offence it was causing.

Happy St. George's day! Does anything actually happen today then? Is there a traditional meal you're supposed to have, parades etc or what? Are the banks even closed?

Comment

I don't know. I'm personally going to have a chicken dinner after work, followed by some MSN with the Mrs, then onto a good Afterburner Climax session for a few hours, and then maybe a wank before bed.

Comment

It's actually traditional to get pissed and moan that the heterosexual, white, working-class man has no say in the multi-cultural nightmare that is the UK.

What with the PC brigade trying to abolish St George's day and all (really? everywhere's got flags up where I am and loads of places are doing St George's day-themed stuff).

Comment

Originally posted by endo View Post
          What with the PC brigade trying to abolish St George's day and all (really? everywhere's got flags up where I am and loads of places are doing St George's day-themed stuff).
          Not around here though. I only know it's St. George's day because my mate told me.

Not that I care, like.

Comment

Originally posted by Kubrick View Post
            Is there a traditional meal you're supposed to have, parades etc or what?
            You should move to Northern Ireland; they bloody love a good parade over there.

I'm over this weekend and seeing as marching season isn't a million miles away, they might well be out practising. They always march right past my folks' house as it's on one of the main roads in town. I just love being woken up by a few dozen lunatics with drums on a Saturday morning.

Comment

Roast Beef (slight cheat as it's Scotch Beef) and English Ales for me today.

Funnily enough there are no flags up here...........in fact you'd be hard pressed to even know there was a World Cup on in a few months. Apart from the ABE T-Shirts.....

Comment

It might not be politically correct in a world in which only Celts seem allowed to beat their patriotic breast and my granny in Donegal will surely excommunicate me if she ever reads this but across the board, and across the decades, there is no sporting nation on this planet to compare with England.

Comment

At my kids' nursery, everyone is celebrating. Wearing red and white and baking cakes with red crosses on.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    At my kids' nursery, everyone is celebrating. Wearing red and white and baking cakes with red crosses on.
                    You live in what's left of 'real' England, though.

Comment

I'll be wearing an England shirt later, wonder if I can find a plastic English pub, playing faintly distinctive English music, serving mass marketed English beers noone drinks throughout the rest of the year?

Hopefully the place will be full other other true English or at a push people who had/have English ties/knew someone English/worked with someone English or just wanted to go out and hang onto the plastic marketting of another nations day.

That is St George's Day, right?

Comment

I don't know, I thought it was our version of July 4th. Only with the killing of a dragon instead of the English.

Comment

I knew it was St. George's Day and for some reason I neglected to wear one of my many England shirts! I am ashamed of myself.

Happy St. George's Day to all!

Comment

Yes happy St George's day everyone.

Comment

Ummmm, wasn't Saint George Turkish? Happy kebab day! (Now that, I would celebrate)

Comment

Working...
                              X