votematch - UK election wizard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

votematch - UK election wizard

I know there's already an election thread, but this one is purely for discussion over what votematch suggests you should vote, rather than what you think you will vote. These things are only a very quick guide, but it has certainly got me thinking.

Mine suggested Labour followed by Green. I was expecting Green to come out in front, but thought conservatives might be 2nd. I was so wrong.

BNP followed by UK Independence Party.

Probably because I took a fairly hard line on the immigration questions and marked it as one of the most important concerns. To clarify I have no problem with non-nationals entering the country, but I do have a problem with them entering the country for no reason other than to claim benefits.

I also selected all parties at the end out of curiosity, even though I'll never vote BNP. Assuming I do vote, I already know where it's going.

Comment

BNP by some distance. Though i'm not entirely sure that the questions aren't loaded in BNP's favour tbh. Same as 45 tho, i was tough on immigration and loafers.

Comment

The trouble with these kinds of questionnaires is that they only question you on which main policies you like. A lot of extreme parties have sensible sounding main policies (sometimes tinted towards their real political motives) and it's only when you get to the the 'minor' policies when you realise there's not a chance in hell you'd ever vote for them.

It's why the greens and BNP get disproportionately represented in these things.

A far better tool for checking out your political leanings is the political compass which puts your political leaning on two axis (rather than the standard, flawed 'left or right')

Comment

Conservative = 41%
          Labour = 27%

A clear match to my views and voting, unfortunately where I live those results will be reversed even if Labour put up a monkey.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
            A clear match to my views and voting, unfortunately where I live those results will be reversed even if Labour put up a monkey.

Comment

It said BNP for me, 58%, followed by UKIP at 51%.

I don't see a problem with voting for the BNP in the end, like all other parties they won't do what they say anyway.
              Last edited by dataDave; 28-04-2010, 10:26.

Comment

BNP 76%
                UKIP 61%
                Tories 54%
                Labour 28%
                Lib Dem 21%

Interesting considering I have always voted for Lib Dems in the local elections!

Comment

Lib Dem 70%
                  Green 58%
                  Labour 56%
                  Conservaties 38%
                  UKIP 32%
                  BNP 12%

I don't think the questions are that much in favour of the BNP. I'm not surprised with the result, I've read the main party's manifestos and the Lib Dem one is the one I agree most with.

I thought Green would be a bit higher than Labour. I like the Green manifesto, although I don't agree with them on Afghanistan which is why it was probably lower. I don't agree with them either on transport, but there weren't any questions on that.

Comment

There was one question about the EU Working Directives? Ie you can't work more than X number of hours in a week... and do you agree that should be decided by the EU.... That question is a bit irrelevant isn't it, given that you can (well, I always do) opt out of it?

Comment

Green Party or Lib Dem for me apparently!

Comment

I got 52% lib dem, 50% Labour and 49% Conservative. It didn't help that much really.

Comment

Did this a few days ago. 78% Lib Dem, 60% Green, followed by Labour, Tory, UKIP and BNP.

Comment

Daft questions, so many are loaded with reservations. I only had clear answers for about half.

Comment

Working...
                            X