Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

eBay/PayPal funding options: PayPal Balance, eCheque but no Credit Card 3rd option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eBay/PayPal funding options: PayPal Balance, eCheque but no Credit Card 3rd option?

I've been trying several days but I can't figure out what happened to the third "pay for items backed by credit card" payment option which I used to be able to pay for items successfully with.

My credit card details are correct and I removed and re-added it. My credit card is not near its expiry date and although I have enough funds in my PayPal balance, I do not want to use that method for various reasons. And I do not want to use eCheque because it is slow as ****.

Anyone have any idea why this third payment method is not available to me?

Found the answer:

Originally posted by eBay
    If you have a balance in your account, we will require you to make your payments from that balance, except that we will allow you to select eCheck or buyer credit as your preferred funding source instead of balance. If you have a balance and do not want to use it to fund your payment, you must withdraw your balance before initiating your payment.
    What bull**** is this. If they can allow me to use eCheque regardless of availability of PayPal balance, then there's no reason why they can't allow me to pay using a credit card. Of course, if I did, then they (PayPal) would miss out on the 1 weeks worth of interest while the funds are being transferred. I might add also that there should be no reason why eCheques take 1 week, instead of the usual two business days, three maximum. But I digress.

Comment

Yeah, you found the answer, I knew it immediately as I read the first post. And yes I agree, in some circumstances I wish I could use my credit card and not the balance. At least things are a little different now to the past; you only use the balance for the currency you are paying in, it doesn't auto convert from any available balance. Previous if you had say balance in GBP and were paying in US$ then Paypal would auto convert and use the GBP balance, but now it only uses the US$ balance when paying in US$. If you have no balance in that currency, you can use your credit card as normal.
      Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

The current situation for me actually, using your example, is that while I have enough USD, I want to pay USD to the seller... using GBP (i.e. GBP to USD). I need to pay in USD... but do not want to do so using my USD PayPal balance. Alright PayPal, forget my credit card then, please use my GBP balance! Please?

The seller(s) is/are based in Japan so I might have to bring in third-party currencies to the table in order for my USD balance to remain untouched :/. If only PayPal was open source, then maybe we can get the features we want...

By now, fellow reader of thread, you're probably wondering why the heck I want to pay USD using the GBP (local) currency instead of the logical choice using USD. Pretty simple reason: the local currency (e.g. GBP) is currently relatively strong so I want to use the local currency to buy weaker (i.e. foreign) currencies while I still can. An e-cookie to those who can correctly guess what I want/plan to do with my current stash of foreign currency.

Comment

Working...
        X