Best safety trainers for work???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best safety trainers for work???

Bit of an obscure question, but due to the vast pool of knowledge that is NTSC-UK, I feel it is the only forum with such resources I could pose this particular problem to:

My job requires me to walk many miles every day. Because I enjoy my job, I work very hard to get things sorted quickly, and spend most of my time rushing about at a pretty high speed, I'm on my feet pretty much ALL the time.

We've recently been forced to wear 'safety shoes', with either steel or fibreglass toecaps. These shoes are usually mass-produced, Chinese-made ugly buggering things that hurt like hell to wear, especially if you're a fast walker (like me), plus have the side-effect of leaving one's feet pitted with blood blisters and hard skin. The current pair I have are a pair of 'safety brogues', which don't look *too* bad, they're pretty smart-looking compared to the other bulky crappers, but are still a massive arseache to wear for prolonged periods, they proper kill the feet.

Up 'til now, I've been getting away with a black pair of Adidas 'Boston Super', which both allow me to move around easily, comfortably, and speedily, plus go with the uniform (and a white pair of Adidas 'Country' on a weekend, when the management aren't snooping about). Management are insisting on all this 'safety' ****e, yet these shoes they keep giving me are proper f*cking my feet up!

In a perfect world, what I'd really like is a 'bouncy' pair of safety trainers, shoes that have the comfy, cushioned, trainer-like qualities of an Adidas Boston Super/Country, a Nike Cortez, or a Hi Tec Silver Shadow, that have a protective toecap but look good, are light, and feel really comfy to walk about in at length. I'd be prepared to pay ?50-?70 for a pair that'd do me a good year of constant wear.

Anyone have a suggestion, I know Adidas do a 'Safety' line, but I believe they aren't *true* safety shoes...?

While working as an IT technician in a college they had exactly the same safety thing going on. No way I was going to wear boots. Check the CAT range, if you search CAT Steel Toe in amazon it'll give you loads, there are plenty that are much more trainer like, and the pair I ended up with, I wound up using after I left there as a pair of trainers.

Comment

Soz for reanimating this thread but I just need to ask:

Can anyone tell me how good Hi-Tec "Magnum" boots are, in terms of comfort, 'bounce' etc. Are they a bugger to wear, or a pleasure???

Comment

Thee boot of choice many coppers and army types, highly respected boots. Have no personal experience tho.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
          Soz for reanimating this thread but I just need to ask:

Can anyone tell me how good Hi-Tec "Magnum" boots are, in terms of comfort, 'bounce' etc. Are they a bugger to wear, or a pleasure???
          What do you mean with bounce?
          Magnums are good and comfortable but with good boots you need to break them in first.
          CAT and Dickies are decent too. If you have to walk a lot you want something to protected you ankles and depending on terrain, thick and grippy soles. I wouldn't recommend any (safety) trainers for work, unless you are walking on paved ground.
          I used to have my trainers in my rucksack and switched back when I need to drive.

Comment

^Cheers for the reply. I'm a hospital porter, tend to be a very fast walker, and walk many miles per day - when I first started, you could get away with trainers (by far the best footwear for the job) but rules n' regulations means we now have to wear steelies - and they DO provide you with a free pair, but they're cheapoes and crappy to walk about in (end of a shift, you feel like you've been wearing clogs all day).

By 'bounce', I mean the softness/springiness of step, like trainers have, ie. when your feet hit the floor, they kind of spring up for the next step, providing pleasurable long-distance walking, as opposed to the thuddy clunk feeling I get from these horrible steelies when I walk.

Originally posted by SuperDanX View Post
            Thee boot of choice many coppers and army types, highly respected boots. Have no personal experience tho.
            Yeah, a squaddie once recommended them to me. And they have some UK Hip Hop kudos, 'cos I think 90s London rappers were into them as foot garb. Plus, they look a bit Vadery, Imperial.

Comment

I remember Totectors from back in the day, although I'm not sure how comfortable they are. Seem to have a decent enough range on their website.

Comment

Nike Air Force 1 SWAT.
                Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

These any good?

Comment

OOOooooh dont talk to me about Safety Trainers . I've had a real ****ter of a time with them over the yrs.

The one's that were supplied by my place of work were real cheapy things made in Albania or somewhere. They were tight, poor quality & the toe cap actually used to dig in to my big & little toes leaving me with slices cut out of them.

Bought myself a pair from Millets & they seemed pretty good for a while but then I ended up having to lob in about 4 insoles just to keep em comfy . I've recently gone back to work supplied shoes cos it was costing me a fortune, & the 1's iv'e got now arent too bad.
                    All I'll say is get a good quality pair (will cost a bit mind you - above ?40) & only wear them in work. When I walk to & from work I've got a super comfy pair of Nike Fusions that make the journey so much better

Comment

I'm a silly spammer, joined up to spam an ancient thread and now I am banned.
                      Last edited by QualityChimp; 21-08-2018, 06:13. Reason: Banned

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                        These any good?

I want some. I never really wanted to pretend to be a centaur before. But I do now.

Comment

Yegads!

Been using all black leather Adidas Superstars (the shell toe ones) as my fake safeties the last couple of months. They look like these Lee Cooper steelie ones we got given so I haven't been noticed yet (such a rebel, I, I'm Spartacus).

Anyway, to be controversial, might be 'classics' but they're RUBBISH. Clodhopper shoes with no bounce at all, bulky and bulbous and just not comfy enough to walk fifteen miles a day in, they're only a *tad* more comfy than my safeties. Nah, gone right off 'em, though they do look nice on lasses. Though not the black ones, they just look like black lumps.

Will see what I find at the Nike Outlet store. Another excuse to go. Could do with another pair of Versitiles, an absolute joy to do a shift in.

Comment

Working...
                          X