Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android recommended games and applications

No thread for this already?

Recently got mine (a Desire) so would love to know what you more seasoned Android users have on your devices.

For me, so far, I recommend the following:

DoggCatcher - Podcast downloader/player... For me, the killer feature of this (which you'd think was standard on the Music player, but alas no) is that it stores your position in podcasts so that you can resume them later on. It can also automatically download podcasts as/when they're updated (you can restricted this to when you're on Wifi only, if you like). It is a tad expensive ($6.99) but for me, its a must. Homepage: http://www.snoggdoggler.com/

RadioTime - Internet radio application. Supports all of the BBC stations (digital ones included) as well as stack loads more from around the world. Homepage: http://radiotime.com/apps/android.aspx

Facebook and Twitter - Yeah, I prefer the official apps at the moment. HTC Peep is useful, but not when you have quite a lot going on.

GiantBomb - I paid for this on the iPhone... it's free on here! No excuse. Get it.

3banana - Useful notes package... Totally free.. I downloaded this because the HTC Notes one doesn't seem to work for me.

Barcode Scanner - Just... cos... everyone seems to use those square barcodes on websites. Works well!

Google Navigation - Works well, and is free... Comes with the latest version of Maps.

RAC Traffic - Free, and again, an application I became familiar with on the iPhone. I work by a Motorway, and I have to travel home on that motorway, so this is useful for checking if I need to go another route.

Sky News - Yet another app I used to use on the iPhone. The content is dubious at best, but hey its free, and useful for keeping up to date.

Tapatalk Pro - Went straight to Pro with this one. Used to use this on the iPhone also, and find it very useful for reading forums (provided they support it, obviously).

So those are the mains apps I'm finding useful at the moment. Not really ventured into games yet! I hear Scoreloop might be big, along the lines of OpenFeint/Plus+ etc...

What are you guys using?

A quick few from me:

Handcent SMS - free and takes the stock SMS and makes it into something wonderful (iPhone style conversations, lots of customisation options)

Cardiotrainer - have to pay for the full thing with a few extras but it's great for tracking where you've been / how many calories you've burned / what altitude you were at when walking or running.

Bettercut - costs a few quid but worth it because you can then use it to create your own shortcut icons on the homescreen.

Comment

Google Sky, so you can look at the stars.

BeebPlayer - iPlayer on't mobile.

Net Counter - keep track of your net usage.

Air Control - uber addicitive plane landing game.

Comment

Is the HTC Desire worth getting? I am due for an upgrade and its either that or an Iphone for me, any thoughts?

Comment

Is this thing open source or closed like the iphone?

What's battery life like?

Comment

Originally posted by Stoppy2000 View Post
            Is the HTC Desire worth getting? I am due for an upgrade and its either that or an Iphone for me, any thoughts?
            I just moved from iphone to desire, and am finding it suits my needs as a phone much more. I never used to play games on the iPhone really.

Is this thing open source or closed like the iphone?
            Very open... VERY.

What's battery life like?
            Pretty shocking if you really go for it!

Comment

SuperGNES

Comment

I have got the HTC Desire turning up tomorrow. I have already spied several emulators for it - anyone know how well they work??
                It'd be good to keep this thread updated regularly as i imagine the marketplace is a bit of a nightmare to trawl through.

Comment

The marketplace is alright really as it tells you what the most downloaded apps and games are (free and paid for) but you're right, it's quicker if you know the name already.

Comment

Looks like Need for Speed Shift is on it's way, amongst other things
                    Yesterday's Google I/O keynote brought about a number of big newsbits -- a Chrome web app store, the open WebM video format, and so forth -- but even more tantalizing were Vic Gundotra's not-so-subtle hints at some major announcements coming at today's keynote. Will we finally get some details on Android's latest updates on the food roadmap?

As well as SD card installations.

Also install over the air - ie click on a website, BAM, installs on your android.

Also streaming from iTunes anywhere... ama-ZING.

Comment

Froyo's most anticipated feature for me is SD installs.

There's a fantastic little game called Caligo Chasers on the Marketplace (iPhone users might recognised it) but it clocks in at something like 20MB which isn't large, but means a hefty chunk of the allowance that Android currently restricts you to.

The minute that gets sorted I'm buying the full version - actually, make that the minute it gets released and HTC can be bothered to patch the Sense UI to make it compatible...
                      Last edited by Spatial; 20-05-2010, 17:32.

Comment

SNesoid is really good.

Comment

My faves that have not already been listed:

BBC News - 3rd party news feed
                          Newspapers - news feed from numerous newspapers
                          Soccer Live - Football result service
                          FxCamera - Different camera mode - pretty cool
                          Shazam - play it some music and it finds the artist/title for you
                          mVideoPlayer - a video player
                          Floating Image - cool image viewing app
                          Ethereal Dialpad - "the expressive touch synthesizer" - my daughter loves it
                          ScummVM - Day of the Tenticle on the go!
                          Traffic Jam - simple puzzle game
                          PicSay - edit pictures, add text etc
                          Scan2PDF - Take picture of some text and saves in a PDF
                          SnapTell - Take a picture of a book/cd and it gives you some background info/pricing on it
                          AsciiCamera - Take picture and converts into ascii art!
                          Bar Control - Install shortcuts to applications on the top menu/notification bar of the screen

Comment

Pac Man Championship Edition is up on the market now... Free, and also a full version. Looks like the 360 version to me!

Comment

Brilliant, thanks for the tip Chris. Goes with the Pac Man socks I bought the other day.

Comment

Working...
                              X