Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Royal Mail "Small Packet" International Airmail: What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Royal Mail "Small Packet" International Airmail: What is it?

From a UK seller shipping items overseas point of view, can you explain what is "Small Packet", how it works (and what you need to do to qualify for it), and the pros/cons of it (if any)?

Basically, what is the difference between sending items overseas as a "letter/parcel" and sending it as a "small packet"?

Here's the Royal Mail website (and the international airmail prices):

Originally posted by Royal Mail
    Small packets

This Airmail service offers you a cheaper rate if you’re sending gifts, goods or commercial samples. When using this service, please write ‘SMALL PACKET’ in the top left corner on the front of the item you are sending. You can also include a letter relating to the contents, but no other personalised correspondence.

Let's say you're sending a normal CD video game overseas and it weighs not over 100 grams. For standard airmail, the price is ?3.04 but the small packets price is ?1.82; a decent saving. Overall, the small packets saves you about 40%. So if I, a non UK-citizen buys a single CD/DVD from a UK-citizen, I (or the seller) should be able to access the reduced prices, right?

And side note, when the website refers to "Letter", I assume their definition of the term is a bit loose and in actuality, the term is inclusive of "Parcel". Because I've never heard of a letter weighing 2KG.

Sounds a lot like the Japanese small packet system. Up to 2kg and less than 90cm (length+width+depth) qualifies - it's much cheaper but there is no detachable customs slip, and therefore no shipment number meaning it can't be tracked.

That means f-all in the UK anyway, as the royal mail tracking system ends the minute they put it on a plane.

Comment

I wish they had SAL outside Japan. *sigh*

Good explanation there Darwock.

Comment

I live abroad. Small Packet from the UK is awesome. Fast, cheap and reliable. ?1.50 to ?2.00 for a Game postage.

Comment

Small packet = Jiffy bag, is my understanding.

"Letter" does have strict limits on the size of the envelope and there is also a "large letter" category for A4 size letters (of a certain weight maybe?).

Parcel is anything bigger than a small packet I would have thought.

Comment

I've sent stuff abroad in boxes and been told to write small packet on it. I don't really know how it works, but it does mean that the shipping costs are reduced.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

As noted, it can apply to any packet or parcel weighing under 2kg and smaller than the size limitations. Cheaper than sending it normal letter rate. You can also get one for printed papers too, which extends up to 5kg I believe (useful for sending magazines!). Most items I send abroad are via small packet rates...
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
              X