Energy monitors.... (nervous giggle)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy monitors.... (nervous giggle)

Dedicated to minimising energy usage in homes and businesses, 2 Save Energy are a company that produce, install and maintain energy-saving products. ...

Got myself one of these.

Got experimenting with all the electric stuff.
    With all stuff on standby, no lights and my PC running, it's 4p/hour.

Turn on Plasma. 6p
    Turn on Kitchen lights 6p (i.e. plasma off again)
    Turn on tumble drier 34p
    Turn on oven 36p

I quite often have all that stuff on at once

Now looking at LED MR16 bulbs - might buy one just to see if it's any good. Already have flourescent GU10s which makes a huge difference.

2p an hour for kitchen lights? That's about 180W (depending on how much you pay for your power). Something's deeply wrong there, especially if it's fluorescent.

Comment

charles, does that unit detect power usage by some magic from being plugged into the system or do you have to set up every device manually in your home ?

if you just put in the cost of your leccy i'd be interested in getting something like that but couldn't be fagged manually setting the whole thing up, I'm a plug and play kind of guy.

Comment

just count the time between the light flashing on your meter if you're ultra lazy :P

Comment

My kitchen lights are 6x20W halogen spots (the flourescent GU10s are elsewhere, but take 2mins to reach full force). Very bright for "only" 120W. It wasn't exactly 2p - the device goes more accurate than that, but I was just writing down approximates.

It's super easy to install. You just open the meter cupboard and put a sensor round the main red feed and plug it into a battery powered (3X AA included) sender. The battery powered wireless receiver (3X AA included) also shows temperature and time and date and kW and carbon impact.
          Last edited by charlesr; 07-06-2010, 09:26.

Comment

I'm glad my Mum doesn't know these exist.

Comment

Working...
            X