Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any pianists/keyboardists in here?

Hey all,

About six months ago I decided to start learning to play the piano, so I bought an M-Audio Keystation 49 from eBay and have been going through the GarageBand lessons and bought some Ludovico Einaudi sheet music and just threw myself into the deep end. The keyboard was probably in the seller's attic for a while so the keys are a bit sticky. Not much, but still. Anyway, I find when I have to play delicate notes, it's not much fun with just these semi-weighted keys, but it could be because they're sticky. One thing I don't like is having to completely release the key before I can play the note again. I'm not sure if you have to do that with hammer action keys or if you can press it before it's fully returned to its initial position.

Anyway, my main problem is that I'm finding 49 keys isn't enough for certain things I'm learning to play without doing some funky keyboard splitting in Ableton which is less than ideal, so I'm in the market for a new keyboard. I'm beginning to lean towards a digital piano (with midi) over just a midi controller as then I could have quick goes on it without needing to hook it up to the laptop.

So my questions are:

1) Regarding key weighting - is there a big difference between standard hammer action and graded hammer action (where the weight is heavier for lower notes than higher ones)? Should I bother going for as authentic a feel as possible given my level? I suppose my main concern is whether having just semi-weighted or weighted keys will mean it takes me a while to adjust to real piano keys later on.

2) I see keyboards that have 88 keys and some that have 76. Will those extra 12 keys matter? Granted, that's a whole octave, but has anyone come across many pieces that use more than 76 keys? I'm currently eyeing up the Yamaha NP30 (76 'Graded Soft Touch' keys, slim, built-in speakers and midi out) but will look up some reviews before I take the plunge. Initially I was considering getting a 61-key controller, then moving up to 88 later on, but that was because I thought space would be an issue but it's less-so now, so I'm thinking of just going for more keys now.

3) Does anyone have any keyboard/digital piano recommendations(I suppose ?250 would be my maximum right now)? Space is quite tight in my room, but I'm planning on maybe setting it up in the guest room and so would need to have the keyboard and a separate, easily-folded stand and stool, rather than an all-in-one unit, even if it's slim and can be removed from the stand, as it may need to be put away quite often.

Thanks!

I've got an NP30 for sale if you're after one, £120 It's big though, so shifting it is a problem.

Comment

I sold a M-Audio KS49 on ebay, when I bought my Casio digital piano (Privia PX-320). I found the weighted keys much better than the M-Audio. Though I do find the Casio keyboard does have more of a thump when playing. The Yamaha keyboards are much better, but you get less for the price. Hence my decision to go with price/casio.

As for weighted key, i'm not too sure if I've noticed to be honest. The Casio has Scaled Weighted keys - possibly not as good. Though I think weighted in general is better, but maybe the real advantage for graded hammer action is if you decide to get a real piano then the cross over isn't too difficult. However for me I doubt I'll ever get a real piano due to noise, size and weight (i'm in a loft conversion).

As for full 88 keys, I've probably not strayed too far from the middle just yet, so maybe 76 keys are fine (unless you're learning Pärt's Spiegel im Spiegel).

Not too sure about costs, but I found www.gear4music.com to be cheap, so I ordered from them.

My setup, probably need to get a proper chair one day. Also despite having what looks to be a nice setup i'm still utter crap at it.

Btw what Einaudi sheet music did you get? (ISBN number please!)

PS I find Garageband to be a great app. Only Issue I have is the lack of Casio support for the Mac. However as usual there is a hack for it I'd quite like to get a laptop stand to hover over the piano for the times I want to play with garageband.
      Last edited by Ginger Tosser; 09-06-2010, 23:51.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I suppose right now I'm torn between aiming higher with a graded hammer or just getting a weighted keyboard because I'm not good enough. Apparently graded hammer's better for nailing the proper technique due to the feedback you get when using it. I went to a piano shop to try out the pianos and see what all fuss is about and hammer action is definitely a really nice feeling.

I'm keeping an eye on a few on eBay now, including your Casio model.

As for the sheet music, I bought Nightbook (ISBN: 9781849383394)

and I also bought Nuvole Bianche (single piece) from the same site. They sell sheet music for about ?2 a piece that you can print only once, but I just installed a PDF printer (CUPS-PDF) and used that, as licensing means the site won't let you use OSX's own PDF printing.

Comment

It's sometimes a bad idea looking in music shops at the expensive gear. There's a decent little music store in Birmingham that has a demo area upstairs. Some very nice and very expensive Yamaha gear in there.

Thanks for the links btw. I'm not familiar with Nightbook, but might take a look at Le Onde or Una Mattina

Comment

I suppose it could be, but really the only reason I went was because I needed to feel the different keys. I kept away from the very expensive pianos, preferring to hover around the £300-400 range just to keep my standards realistic, but it was purely to see for myself just what the different weighting terms meant for my fingers.

As for Einaudi, funnily enough I only heard his stuff recently. Some of my mates love him (one in particular has seen him live every time he's come to London since he first heard him. He even met him after one of the shows and they had a good old chat). I never really paid attention, but recently he came to London and my mate asked if I wanted to go, so I did. It was the Nightbook tour and I decided to get hold of Nightbook itself and listen so I'd know what to expect.

Comment

Working...
            X