Comic Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comic Books

I had a search (admittedly half arsed), but couldn't find a thread where we can chat about comics. You guys follow any particular characters, artists, writers?

I dip in and out, but mainly like me some Deadpool. Reading the Deadpool Corps at the moment which is following on nicely from the run of dimension-jumping story where DP was all up in that Marvel Zombies universe. Some real stupid stuff basically that brings a smile to my face.

Also overjoyed to see that the amazing French comic Lucha Libre has been taken on by publishers 'Humanoids' and continues under the re-titled Unfabulous Five. Oooh just found an early animation by these crazy guys...I wondered how come they captured movement so well in their comics...

Started reading the new Jonathan Ross / Tommy Lee Edwards comic Turf and its not too bad either, interested to see how the mix of Mobsters, Vampires and Aliens turns out...
    Last edited by spagmasterswift; 11-06-2010, 16:40.

I don't really buy comics any more because I'm so far behind what's been happening that everything seems to always be mid story arc & trying to find the beginning of the arc is nigh on impossible.

I normally wait now for Graphic Novels to be released.

in my to read pile at the moment are...

Batman: RIP
    Batman: Arkham Asylum
    The Walking Dead Volume 3, 4 & 5
    Marvel Zombies: Dead Days
    Marvel Zombies 4
    Green Lantern: Sinestro Corp Wars
    Civil War: Iron Man
    Civil War: X-Men
    X-Men: House of M Volume 1

Getting a little behind lately

Neil

Comment

I would love to get into reading comics in either the dc or marvel universes, but its near impossible to break into. alternate universes, different versions of characters, stories spread across multiple series. I don't know how anyone keeps up. As it is, I am limited to a few batman graphic novels.

Otherwise I stick to independent stuff. I'm currently working through bone (picked up the one volume on the cheap) and am loving it. I also recently read through all the sam and max comics (not that there were that many of them) and have maus sitting there ready to go.

Oh and the red star is fantastic.

Comment

I used to read a lot DC Vertigo stuff back in the 90s. Fave series was The Sandman. Currently reading through the Absolute edtions for the third time. Absolutely brilliant.

Most recent series I read was Buffy Season 8, many of which were written by Joss Whedon. Bit hit & miss tbh.

Comment

Just Robert Kirkman stuff. The Walking Dead is surely the greatest creation in comics history and Invincible is pretty awesome too. I am midway through the Preacher and Marvel Zombies series too. Just got to buy them all..I generally re-sell afterward. Got so much stuff that a graphic novel collection doesn't seem worthwhile (apart from Walking Dead!)

Comment

I used to buy a load of anime comics from the US, but read about 25% of them. I now jus have them all boxed up, which I should look to get shut of, but I don't think they would be worth much, and I can't be bothered selling them individually.......

Admittedly anime comics in the western world are not as sort after as the Marvel or DC type ones........ I prefer to play video games, the pictures move when I want them to

Comment

I read a few different comics, at the minute mostly just the Walking Dead, can't wait for number 12 next month used to read preacher too but finished them a few months ago. Ultimate Spider-man is another I quite enjoy reading, although there are a few duff volumes.

I'd recommend you read Kick-Ass if you haven't though- I've enjoyed that the most out of any graphic novel I've read this year.

Oh, and you should read The Boys (by Garth Ennis, same guy who writes Preacher), one of my favourate series.

Comment

I was really into the Marvel and DC stuff from mid 80s to mid 90s. Stopped because they were really getting into the 10 covers per issue stuff (holographic covers, gold etc).

Would love to get back into them but don't know where I would begin.

Oh yeah I also bought some of the translated Viz Mangas for a while.

I'd like to get the Frank Miller Daredevil series if they're available in graphic novel form.

I found a great website reviewing graphic novels ages ago-it was called something like lair of the bookwyrm or something but lost the link.

edit-found that site: http://www.pulpanddagger.com/maskedbookwyrm/index.html

Comment

i like comics but have to say been a bit disapointed with the lack lustre endings of some of the series

like planet hulk the final battle i thought was a bit poor ...and the same goes for dcs the blackest night

feels like god knows how long to set it up and its all finished off in one page

Comment

My faves are:

From Hell
                    Preacher
                    Maus
                    Persepolis
                    Watchmen
                    Bone
                    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
                    Sandman

All quite traditional, but there's plenty of other stuff I've got hanging around that I've yet to start off. By far my favourite is From Hell, though I think Maus is a stunning piece of work, and Bone had me enthralled from start to finish.

I also love a series called Fell, but it's highly irregular as far as release dates go. Something like 9 issues in 3 or 4 years. I think Ben Templesmith's art complements the subject matter beautifully.

Comment

I've just got back into Marvel stuff again in time for the Secret Invasion which I'm loving. It's great because this time my 6 year old daughter is along for the ride and it's really exciting for us to read Avengers Unconquered and Fantastic Four as a pair.
                      I'm also buying Wolverine and Deadpool for a bit 'cos DP is just so funny and the whole Skrull crossover is great.

Comment

Love independant comics latley and older 2000ad stuff. I've got a lot to catch up on, can't really afford to keep up but luckily i've got a decent library. Favorite comics are;

Love and rockets,
                        My brain is hanging upside down,
                        Jeffery browns relationship mini books,
                        Nemesis the warlock,
                        ballad of halo jones,
                        Nikolai dante,

Comment

I've been reading for about 3 - 4 years now and can't see me stopping as long as i can keep buying.

Mainly read Marvel but have recently been picking up DC stuff like Green Lantern and the Flash, it is a total illness and you will get addicted.

I dont buy single comics at all though i just buy hard covers and trade paper backs, much easier to get hold of and overall cheaper. Marvels tpb's are a joy to read as they are all numbered all in sequence easy to follow and are released very quickly, DC are lot harder to follow numerically as most volumes aren't numbered or list issues especially going back a few years but they seem to be picking up their tpb game.

Gaming has gone pretty much out of the window now for me...unless its Comic based or a fighter or even better a Comic Book Fighter.

Comment

Forgot to post this: http://tplist.millarworld.net/

A great site to get you started, helped me alot when i want ed to go back and find books that started a certain series.

Comment

I generally don't read many print comics, it tends to be more online stuff today. However there are three main series that I still follow (although one naturally is going to halt, change and/or mutate very shortly due to a certain sale last year)... links to relevant things I own

Usagi Yojimbo
                              TMNT
                              Mouse Guard
                              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Working...
                              X