• Housing benefit cuts
    • Disability Living Allowance cuts
    • Tax cut for lowest paid
    • Two year council tax freeze
    • Capital Gains Tax increased
    • Bank levy
    • NI tax holiday for job creation outside South-East of England
    Thoughts?
    Last edited by Kongster; 22-06-2010, 17:29.

Other than the VAT increase I don't actually think it's too bad. And hey, no increase on cider.

Comment

Same here really. I'm going to buy everything I need before January next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbob View Post
        And hey, no increase on cider.
        Yet. They're reviewing what to do with it along with other cheap / strong alcohol promos.

Comment

Could of been a lot worse I thought, I was expecting a pay cut and increased pension contributions.

Comment

They are doing what needs to be done. I may end up a wee bit worse off when the VAT increase kicks in, but it won't be by much.

Comment

Pay freeze is pretty sucky but it could have been worse.

Comment

Its all lies of course, before the election the tories said they'd save 6 billion in waste in the public sector, now its 2 billion in service cuts this year, plus the lib dems savaged the tories about putting up VAT , but now in government its ok, dont see much taxation of the rich of course.

Comment

Thing that pisses me off though is the thought that even when we pay all our debt back the VAT won't go back to 17.5%.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteJ View Post
                    Pay freeze is pretty sucky but it could have been worse.
                    This. I was expecting them to actually cut pay.

That said, the freeze is effectively a paycut when you factor in the increased cost of living that will come about from some of the other measures (if nothing else, the VAT rise).

And that's not withstanding a 25% squeeze on budgets for everything except the NHS. By the end of this year there's going to be a lot of front line public sector workers out of jobs (because the Chief Execs on ?120,000+ sure as hell won't take a pay cut) and things will be looking grim.

I honestly believe that parts of this country will be in recession, if not by the end of this year, then certainly in the first quarter of 2011.

Comment

Just ask the banks for the bail out money back with 2% interest.

Problem solved! vote for me next time!

Comment

Indeed.

..and I wish I could vote for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Spatial101 View Post
                          This. I was expecting them to actually cut pay.

That said, the freeze is effectively a paycut when you factor in the increased cost of living that will come about from some of the other measures (if nothing else, the VAT rise).

And that's not withstanding a 25% squeeze on budgets for everything except the NHS. By the end of this year there's going to be a lot of front line public sector workers out of jobs (because the Chief Execs on ?120,000+ sure as hell won't take a pay cut) and things will be looking grim.

I honestly believe that parts of this country will be in recession, if not by the end of this year, then certainly in the first quarter of 2011.
                          Completely agree with all of the above. Although it directly affects me I actually agree with the pay freeze as we've had very good rises the last few years (at least the central departments I've been in have). It's not as bad as I feared it would be if I'm being honest - not good obviously, but I was expecting more savage cuts.

Comment

I'm in the public sector and our funding has been taken away, meaning we have to find a way to pay ourselves after April. I just hope I can jump ship before then.

If I can't get a job with the Mrs. I'm just going to drop the gym, go back to both WoW and FFXI, and become a doley bum stoner bastard on one meal a day... unless I can somehow get into Uni and wing a degree, which might be hard considering I'm 30 in March.

Comment

I'm tired of hearing people saying it's all the bankers' fault. Banks didn't run up the WHOLE deficits of governments. Of course there are the bailouts of some banks but what about the rest of the deficit? Try looking at Labour spunking all our money up the wall and giving it to doleys not the banks.

Comment

Working...
                              X