Guitar learning help question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guitar learning help question

I've successfully convinced my boy that he should try to be famous instead of getting a real job when he is older. Now he wants to learn guitar.

I've been looking at different options and I've figured that instead of blowing hundreds on a Strat, perhaps one of those starter kits might be a good idea.

I've seen this one at Argos. Elevation Junior Electric Guitar Starter Kit with Amp.

It's only ?40, and seems to come with everything he would need. He is 10-years-old, would it be too small for him?

I'd appreciate any help.
    Kept you waiting, huh?

Maybe he should start on acoustic.

Comment

yeah would agree a small acoustic may be a better idea the neck is bigger and its harder on the fingers but if he sticks with it when he goes to a full sized electric would be alot easier

however had a look at that link looks good....but what i would say is go to a music shop and just try a full size guitar and a half sized one on him and see how it is

Comment

I'd reccomend starting on an acoustic with steel strings, it may hurt more to begin with but that first time he picks up an electric guitar he'll feel great.

As for size...10 years old...he should be okay, but if he's a small 10 year old it might be worth getting a 3/4 size. Get him to try out a guitar in a shop with a member of staff, they'll tell you if he needs a 3/4 size.

Comment

Actually I'd say start electric; more noise = more fun. You can get a metal pedal and suddenly you're making a great sound, pretty much regardless of skill.

I'd avoid a real cheap guitar, as they're bastards to play and will put you off. Regarding size, I can't comment. Full size is the way to go I imagine. Playing guitar is difficult at first regardless.

Comment

Thanx gang. Tin Pan Alley here we come.
            Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

Yeah, get him a nice little acoustic at under a 1'er and have him learn how to re-string it, take good care, and of course see if he's going to be any good in the first place before investing in an electric setup.

Once he does go down the route of electric I'd recommend a Mexican strat, that was my first guitar and plays just as well as its Californian big brother. Once he has the feel of a Strat he might either want a full on Californian with a broad choice of neck or go down the hard rock route and choose Gibson - all depends on his style and what music he likes at that point in his life.

Just stay away from the Epiphones (Gibson budgets). I hate those with a passion, they feel like plastic.

Oh yeah, he won't get famous unless he spends around 6hrs a day practicing, so there is that.

I reckon it's easier getting good at football than it is to get good on the guitar.

Comment

To go from acoustic to electric is far easier than going the other way round so definitely the best option to start out with. If/when he moves to electric I'd definitely recommend the Fender Strat Squire, it's not the most amazing guitar in the world but it's decent, solid (so second hand ones should be pretty good nick) and I got mine late nineties or so with an amp for I think around £100-150 so it's perfect for learning on.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt View Post
                  Actually I'd say start electric; more noise = more fun. You can get a metal pedal and suddenly you're making a great sound, pretty much regardless of skill.

I'd avoid a real cheap guitar, as they're bastards to play and will put you off. Regarding size, I can't comment. Full size is the way to go I imagine. Playing guitar is difficult at first regardless.
                  You also have the problem of trying to teach someone who wants to be playing Enter Sandman and solo's before they can even play an E chord.

Trust me, I've taught guitar and acoustic (if possible) is the way to start.

Nothing wrong with Epiphone guitars either imho, get an Epiphone Les Paul and replace the pickups with Seymour Duncans and you've got a really nice looking reasonably cheap guitar. Sure, they won't sustain like a real Gibson, but they do the job.

As reccomended above though, budget electric wise I'd also reccomend a Squire Strat. Not the best looking, but gets the job done and they play "okay".
                  Last edited by Jebus; 11-07-2010, 07:26.

Comment

Accoustic all the way, bought my daughter (9) one for Xmas and she is progressing nicely.

I have already cancelled my pension plan.

Comment

Working...
                    X