How long is your commute to work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long is your commute to work?

I've just been phoned about a potential job but its going to mean getting up at 6:30am, getting back at around 7:30pm and about 1hr 45 travel each way.

I know some people would be like 'thats what 85% of the country does, deal with it' but I used to travel a bit before and it just ended up making me miserable (yes more so than usual if possible)

Was just wondering how far most people here commute and what they deem as acceptable. It sure can wear you down after a couple of years, not to mention it'd probably cost around ?2000 or more a year in travel. its offset by being alright money of course, but the thought of buying a ?265 train ticket every month like I was last time, just saddening.

Obviously I have to say I'm interested and there'll be a couple of tests before even an interview takes place, so nothing is concrete as of yet. I just imagine turning up and being dead halfway through the day.

Yes I'm lame.

That's pretty much exactly how long I travel for right now - I get up at 6am and back home at 7pm. From October to December it is going to be even longer though. I work on a short term contract basis and so my travelling hours change with every change in school. I couldn't hack the upcoming commute if I didn't know it was only for 3 months.

Comment

It takes me 55 minutes door to door. I leave at 7am sharp and arrive at 7:55 each day. I take one bus, and two Tubes to get to work.
      I have a yearly Oyster Card which covers Zones 1-3 and cost £1208.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

13 minutes door to door on foot

Comment

I used to commute with times not quite as long as that but close. For years.

It wears you down. It really does. It sucks your soul until there's barely anything left of you but a black pit of nothingness.

Or at least, it did for me. For you, it could be great! Depends on whether it's a comfy train with nice seats and all leisurely. Or a weekday crush.

Now though, I live closer and have my little Vespa and it's just under half an hour each way. So much better.

Comment

up to an hour getting in, 40 minutes getting home.

Comment

I'm just going to want to murder some idiot on the train like last time. oh well.

Comment

35 mins all in. Have a very long day in beetween tho

Comment

A 45 minute commute to Halesowen was too much for me. Now I do 15 minutes on a push bike (trailer on the back with my daughter in - I drop her off at school) and am much happier. Good luck whatever you do mate but if you already know that you hate commuting.........

Comment

Yeah, though its a job innit. And I can offset the pain and hardship with retail therapy.

Mind you I need to do 2 tests, an SQL one and a general pc tech knowledge one even before I have an interview.

So everything is far from concrete.

Comment

I think my limit personally would be about an hour each way if travelling by car. Anything longer is likely to just depress me or stress me out, particularly when it comes to dealing with traffic and motorways (the latter being the most boring route possible to your destination).

Public transport... not sure. Still don't think I'd want to do more than an hour though, as it's even less time to do what I want outside of work.

Comment

Well it'd be an hour train journey and then about 35mins on the bus to some random industrial estate.

To be honest I've been out of work for a while so I'm trying to stay motivated and will try my best to get the job, it seems a lot of responsibility though and I'm a bit rusty IT wise, and I've never been the one for belief in my abilities but I'm sure I could manage it.

I'm too honest sometimes when some person calls me on the phone I never big myself up, more often than not I just tell it like it is and that I haven't touched windows services or sql server for a couple of years and might be a bit rusty, etc.

oh well.

Comment

I'm bloody lucky...

3 Miles & about 5 minutes

Neil

Comment

The thing I hate most about my commute is a bitch of a right turn out of the car park.

I have to cross a right hand turn lane (which gets clogged up with waiting cars) on a busy road and in a bit of brilliant planning, there's another junction about 5 metres to the right after the right turn. so that you can never be sure if someone is letting you go or the person at that junction (not to mention the people who cut both corners trying to go from one junction to the other) . As if that wasn't fun enough, it's also next to a rail crossing.

It's like the city planners went all out to create the most unpleasant right turn they could.

Comment

10 miles / 30 mins each way.

Comment

Working...
                              X