Sheffield Wednesday served winding up order by HMRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheffield Wednesday served winding up order by HMRC

Wednesday were one of the bigger clubs I remember when growing up. Hopefully it's going to get sorted out, I don't want to see this happen to any club.

HMRC seem to be playing hardball with football teams at the moment. Seems like they're making an example of them wherever they can.

Love Wednesday, although they made Doncaster looked like Brazil when they came to Hillsborough last season.

From reading the BBC article it looks like HMRC giving the club a not so gentle reminder that they still want their money - talking to a Wednesday mate the other day it sounds like they've been doing lots of player business recently.

Comment

I can understand why HMRC are getting so pissed off. They're so far down the 'debts that have to be paid' ladder that they're almost being treated as a loan company.

Clubs are taking the piss. Presumably they're still taking the PAYE money from the player's wages only to keep hold of it. It's important to remember this is clubs depts to us as taxpayers.

Comment

Only way to fix stupid footy finances is to treat them like a proper business and to make them do things like pay tax.

You have prem teams with a 91% wage to turnover ratio, which is madness, and teams in the champ chasing the prem dream so hard they gamble their existence to try and get there.

Make a few go bust and teach them a lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
          Only way to fix stupid footy finances is to treat them like a proper business and to make them do things like pay tax.

You have prem teams with a 91% wage to turnover ratio, which is madness, and teams in the champ chasing the prem dream so hard they gamble their existence to try and get there.

Make a few go bust and teach them a lesson.
          So you basically penalise the fans then? Perhaps fans should be having more say in how their clubs are run, rather than simply being seen as open wallets.

Comment

Originally posted by paul View Post
            So you basically penalise the fans then? Perhaps fans should be having more say in how their clubs are run, rather than simply being seen as open wallets.
            Look you're responding to someone that has never known and most likely will never know what its like facing relegation battles, or threats of going out of business altogether. For some, all they have to worry about, s wherever or not, they play nice looking football.

I'll not even insult people, by making out I like Sheff Wednesday Footbal Club. I don't like the Team , I don't like the Ground; and I hate their police ( Only with regards to/for footballing matters)
            But I wouldn't wish a Club going out of Business on any rival fan, not even Wrexham (and I hate them with the uppermost of hatred)

Because supporting your team on a Match day is one of life's few simple pleasures
            Last edited by Team Andromeda; 02-08-2010, 17:35.

Comment

Penalise the fans vs penalise everyone in the country.

Them (and other football clubs) not paying tax means less money for public services.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

Them (and other football clubs) not paying tax means less money for public services.
                If a Club goes to a wall , I doubt the tax man will get much money . Also I'm sure on Match day , the Money a Club like Wednesday would generation in terms of tax on beer sales alone, would be quite lot

Comment

but you aren't thinking of the 'fans', sod everybody else cos there are a few people who because they go to a lot of footy matches have special rights to ensure this form of 'entertainment' continues for them.

Comment

Originally posted by merf View Post
                    but you aren't thinking of the 'fans', sod everybody else cos there are a few people who because they go to a lot of footy matches have special rights to ensure this form of 'entertainment' continues for them.
                    It's very well you saying let a few go bust and teach them a lesson . When was the last time your Club had a fight a battle to avoid relegation, or more a fight to say in existence ?. I can't be bothered to check, but I bet its a long long time ago, when it don't effect us , when can all talk the talk

I don't like Sheff Wednesday at all, But the Football League with out them would be a far, far poorer place, given the Club History, and if a Club goes bust or in to Admin, I don't see how the Tax man wins either.

I agree with you on the wages, I also think it's mad and so unfair that Clubs that come down for the Premiership get massive payments (almost forcing Clubs already in the Champ to spend Big in order to compete) The whole Football league is in a mess with regards to way its run , but saying Let a few Clubs go down the pan and go Bust (that will teach them) is not the answer, or what a Football fan should be saying

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                      Look you're responding to someone that has never known and most likely will never know what its like facing relegation battles, or threats of going out of business altogether. For some, all they have to worry about, s wherever or not, they play nice looking football.
                      You're a Liverpool fan right? Well, if that is the case, I wouldn't assume anything in regards to the future of our football club.

Further, I think Sheffield Wednesday were and continue to be supportive after Hillsborough. I have the utmost respect for the club and it's fans.

Comment

Not the point. I'm not saying that clubs shouldnt be accountable. But so long as they're the toys of a few rich businessmen, these kinds of things will continue to happen. Fans remain the lifeblood of every club, and as such should have some say in how their clubs are run.

Also, who on earth suggested that football clubs benefit from more relaxed tax treatment? I don't think that's true at all.

Comment

You're a Liverpool fan right? Well, if that is the case, I wouldn't assume anything in regards to the future of our football club.

Further, I think Sheffield Wednesday were and continue to be supportive after Hillsborough. I have the utmost respect for the club and it's fans.
                          No I only would like to see Liverpool win the Premiership, I don't support them, that would be most of my best mates.

I don't like Sheff Wednesday at all , biut I wouldn't wish their Club going out of Business on their Fans . They're a big and well supported Club, and the Football league would be a lot poorer with out them in it for one thing
                          More to the Point, it would be just devastating for the fans of the Club

Comment

We'll find out within an hour if Portsmouth FC will cease to be.

Comment

Portsmouth won, they're safe for now.

Comment

Working...
                              X