Negotiating a Salary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Negotiating a Salary

After graduating University this week, I've been applying for several Software development jobs. Although most carry a Junior title, the salary range is usually quite wide (18-22k for example).

Now I'm fairly confident I can hold my own in an interview and display skills that employers are looking for. Are there any tips on negotiating a salary, or am I expected to be grateful by employers for being a fresh graduate and even earning one?

what are you worth ?

if you can't prove why you are worthy of the higher end of the scale you won't get it.

once somebody wants you they are on the hook a little but you'll only get more if you can back up why and there isn't a queue a mile long behind you who could do as good a job.

pure supply and demand I'm afraid.

Comment

I know you are looking at the cash but at this stage that is the wrong thing to do.

Those that are offering £4k more may also be expecting you to work 60 hour weeks for 37.5hr money.......

Far more important to dig into how they operate, how they treat their people, what the progression is like. You won't be with that company for life anyway - many in IT move on every 3 to 6 years. It's those moves when you have proven yourself (sorry but a degree doesn't cut it) that will allow you to pick and choose salaries.

Comment

Also, by the time salaries are being discussed they will have already picked you out for the role. Ask (do not demand or give indication that you'll turn the job down if they don't give you top whack) for the top of the range.

Comment

I have loads of exp in recruitment working for recruitment agencies and for companies themselves hiring grads upto senior management so here is my opinion for what its worth.

They will have a hire budget and you need to try and get the max in that bracket. If the advert gives you a salary bracket ask for the top of it. They will not turn you down on that basis as they will already have budgeted that amount.

If the advert says upto 22k and you ask for 23k+ in this climate they aren't going to bother to get the etxra 1k signed off and will prob discount you.

My advice is don't be shy to give an answer when they ask which they will.
          But, think it out before, if you say I want between 18k and 22k you will prob get close to 18k if you say in the region of 20k you will prob be offered 19k. best thing to do is give a straight answer and say if its advertised upto 22k I would like 22k. I think its a fair salary for what you are looking for and I also think that its a fair reflection of the current market rates. I think I meet the criteria you are after so I feel that would be a fair salary. Then smile and don't look shy.

Don't under any circumstances say why don't you make me an offer

Comment

I won't give advice as I'm stuck working as a PHP developer on £16K after 2 years at the company. To make matters worse, the company could go under at any time.

Added fun: I'm the only php developer at the company. If I leave, the company is bankrupt.

*sigh*

I get myself into some crappy situations sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post

Added fun: I'm the only php developer at the company. If I leave, the company is bankrupt.

*sigh*
              Balls to that, I'd use that as leverage to negotiate more money.

Comment

Thanks for the advice people

Smurf, for 16k a year Is the company going bankrupt because they only have a single php dev really your problem? Got to be other stuff out there

Comment

I will do when/if the company pulls through. The money I'm on is a joke.

Just means I can't abandon ship at the moment without immense amounts of guilt.

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                    I will do when/if the company pulls through. The money I'm on is a joke.

Just means I can't abandon ship at the moment without immense amounts of guilt.
                    It really shouldnt be your burden. If they're going to go under because a 16k a year code monkey (no offence) left, then the firm really is tragically mismanaged and needs putting down.

Comment

Originally posted by neoboy259 View Post
                      It really shouldnt be your burden. If they're going to go under because a 16k a year code monkey (no offence) left, then the firm really is tragically mismanaged and needs putting down.
                      Agreed. My company tries this on all the time ? I'm not a manager, nor do I have a stake in their business. If they cannot run the company without me then that's their lookout, not mine.

Comment

Bear in mind you are up against competition from all the other grads at the same time so if you do negotiate you need to prove you're worth more than those other grads. I don't know what uni you're from but if a manager has a guy from a top tier uni happy to take the base salary against one from a middle tier or lower who is asking for more, it's obvious what he'll pick. In this economic climate there's a lot of companies on headcount freezes so my recommendation would be to be grateful for the work and once you've proved yourself ask for that raise at pay review time.

Comment

I am a senior developer at a software company and we are currently hiring graduates, I am amazed at some of the cv's coming in, you will be surprised at how many people with a few years experience behind them applying for a graduate position.

We had somewhere in between 50-100 cv's for 2 graduate positions and we are just a fairly small software house in Newcastle.

Comment

i was about to say something similar to wicky / bluemonkey. personally i'd take what they are offering especially if the company has a decent career progression path where you can be earning more in a year or so anyway. i work for a pretty small software company and when we advertise for any position we get ridiculous numbers of cv's coming in

Comment

Pretty much going to echo the consensus of "don't run before you can walk"

Yes you've got your degree but have you also got the X number of years worth of work experience? I don't know how badly the recession has hit your particular area of IT, but even those with both may be eying the same position just to put food on their tables and pay their bills. If your career is just starting, you're at the wrong point to be salary negotiating, especially during this climate.

Certainly been my experience of late.
                              Last edited by Daragon; 25-07-2010, 22:35.

Comment

Working...
                              X