Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Alex "Hurricane" Higgins

Originally posted by Sky
    Former world champion snooker star Alex Hurricane Higgins has died.

Belfast-born Higgins, who won the world title in 1972 and 1982, was suffering from throat cancer.

Fellow former world champion Steve Davis said: "He was an inspiration to my generation to take the game up. I do not think his contribution to snooker can be underestimated."

Higgins was discovered at a block of flats in the centre of Belfast. The player had not been answering his mobile phone and the flat had to be broken into, sources close to him told the Press Association.

His biographer and friend Sean Boru told Sky News: "Everyone knew this was coming but it is still an awful shock.

"Alex may have passed away, but he will be somewhere even now still playing snooker," he added.

"He made snooker what it is. Alex literally took (the sport) by the scruff of the neck and dragged it screaming into the 20th century."

very sad, but seeing some pictures of him a while back it was only a matter of time

Comment

RIP Alex, you were a genius and did snooker proud.

Comment

There arent many of the showmen players who were willing to take risks & make the game more exciting left now that we have lost 1 of snookers best loved & talented players. The game is boring now without wizards like Higgins.

RIP mate

Comment

Sadly missed, gutted quite frankly. Grew up watching his superb skills, yes he was one of the really few players that would take a chance and play 'edgy' stuff, seem to remember Kirk Stevens used to take risks too - though he also had troubled times I think.

Read a few quotes earlier and the regulars at the time seem to be a bit guarded and almost politician like in their responses, I know a lot of them didn't get on with him and I think it shows.

Comment

Not really a shock as such (given the man was a *massive* caner!) but pretty sad to see The Hurricane peg it. Where have all the snooker characters gone?...

Gah, as a very young lad in 1982, I wanted to *be* him!

Comment

Working...
            X