Soo anyone live in York-Advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soo anyone live in York-Advice needed

Just booked a nice luxury apartment near the minster for a week from the 22nd August.

What to do peeps!

Done the usual things before like the Jorvik Centre, museum, dungeons etc what else is recommended?

Nice places to eat and drink would be good to.

Going with the Mrs and my 2 kids (13 and 9).

UK holidays FTW!

Pubs - loads of them. Ditch the sprogs and fill your boots.

The beer shop. It's all you need.

In seriousness, do you have a car with you? The North York Moors isn't too far away and has lovely countryside, with picturesque little hamlets. The steam railway is super. Whitby is a pleasant day out too. Shipton isn't too far away. Eden Camp is near Malton and is excellent.
    Last edited by prinnysquad; 15-08-2010, 21:56.

Comment

Yep got the car will check them out cheers!

Comment

tbh if you'll seen the main stuff in York, get out and about! I've been to Eden Camp 4 times - aged 8, 11, 21 and 30, and had a great time on each visit. Best visit was probably last year tbh, it's the first time I've been able to stroll around at my own pace and go through everything. But as a kid I was fascinated, I think most kids enjoy it as long as they're not gob****e brats with no attention span.

Comment

J Bakers is the best restaurant in York right now in my opinion well worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post
            J Bakers is the best restaurant in York right now in my opinion well worth looking into.

http://www.jbakers.co.uk/
            Thanks man looks good.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajay1986 View Post

http://www.jbakers.co.uk/

That looks unbelievably wanky.

"Hand Cut Chips Maris Piper, Antique Sherry Vinegar ?2.75"

So chips with some vinegar, aye?

Comment

Would you rather a menu that just said:

meat and veg
                other meat and veg
                meat and salad
                cheese and salad
                ?

Comment

Pretty much. One of my biggest irks is restaurants that dress up the most basic of dishes in flowery language. I don't mind a wee bit of description, but anymore and it's just pretentious.

Comment

I know what you mean SC. It boils my piss, and usually means that they've added a few extra quid on thanks to their verbal wankery.

Comment

It's a proven fact that all the verbal wankery makes the food taste better.
                      no joke

Comment

Food wise theres all sorts numerous Pizza Huts etc... to fancy resteraunts on a evening, some good pubs (Lendal Cellars if its still there top of Coney Street etc..) plenty of shopping centers out at Clifton Moore, Bowling Cinema etc..

Days out you can go to Scarborough slide park etc.. Seaworld or beach, iceskating.
                        Robin Hoods Bay futher afield and Whitby (be full of Goths on a weekend tho this time of year at Whitby).

Bridlington although its more for skeggy people now with B&B culture of benifit lot as they moved shed loads in from council estates so its much rougher than it used to be. So if you stay out of town center be ok. Has better beaches than Scarborough.

Filey is more quiet family atmos, you get the beach and food but not all the amusments.

Pickering for steam trains up and down Moors (where Heartbeat WAS filmed). You also have Flamingo Land out that way. Other places like Eden Camp I guess but thats a very marmite place.

Plenty to do out this way tbh from Museums to seeside. Theres also places like Castle Howard at Malton way (proms are on there this weekend) if your into arts as you can go around inside or wander outside. Alternative to that is Harewood House towards Leeds (and if you go that way Royal Armoury).

Comment

Anyone who doesn't like Eden Camp is a chod in my book.

Mother Shipton's Cave is near York, at Knaresborough.
                          Ryedale Folk Museum is also near Pickering.

These things are worth looking up though beforehand.

Comment

Well Eden Camp aint the place to go if you want abit of romancing lets face it its a bleak place. Amazing if your into WW2 and history of it (I go couple of times a year as its down road from me) but I have seen lasses come out crying. It has also got very good cheap grub. If you do go out that way theres some lovely pubs and pub food.

Theres also Elvington (where Hamster had is accident the tosser as cas of it its stopped the air show due to not being able to afford insurance anymore) for the Air Museum.

Thornton-le-Dale is also a gorgeous little place if you go towards Pickering/Flamingo Land. Chocolate shop, lovely pubs, good fish and chips and thatched cottage.

If you go out towards Bridlington/Scarborough and go near Stamford Bridge you got good pubs there for food, good fish and chip shop and Three Cups does a carvery.

If you come out this way you also got Bempton Cliffs if your into birds http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guid...ffs/about.aspx

Comment

Thanks so much for the replies guys.

Just bought a 3 day Yorkshire pass so we can do all the usual suspects Inc Castle Howard.

Going to have a day in Whitby with the Goths lol, explore the moors and do Eden.

May even check out a pub or twelve

Anyone who might be in York next week and fancies a beer on me then send me a pm.

Comment

Working...
                              X