When This Baby Hits 88mph...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When This Baby Hits 88mph...

There's been a lot of reports and discussion lately regarding Oxfordshires removal of the their speed camera network with both camps hitting out at one another about the decision. Yesterday it was reported locally that in less than 8 months time the Greater Manchester speed camera network may have to start shutting down also due to budgetary cuts making it financially unviable to support.

Supporters claim there'll be masses of deaths as a result and Non-supporters say the cameras didn't make a difference in the first place. The big concern amongst many seems to be that these areas are creating a knock on effect that will eventually lead to the removal of cameras nationally as councils look to save money.

Personally, they've rarely made a difference. Speeding drives slam the brakes on for a few yards of road and then speed off again which is more dangerous than speeding consistantly. Over the years I've seen some unbelievable maneuvers from people trying to dodge a fine. In the last few years over 6 cameras have been set up on my route to work all due to 'dangerous drivers who mowed victims down recklessly'. For me their often supported by coffin chasers, I come to work via a 50mph bypass... which means those people never questioned why pedestrians were running across it, far easier to just blame the driver who dared to use the high speed road.

If they do end up removing the camera network, what's your stance on it?

It's the placing of speed cameras that bug me. I can see the point of them in busy areas where some people race around like idiots and there is a real danger that a pedestrian could get hit. But when they are places like dual carriageways where people cannot not even cross the road then I hate them.
    As you say, it only makes people drive a bit slower for the length of the speed camera.

Comment

I can't see it making much difference to be honest, there are always people driving on the road recklessly, I don't think speed is the only factor.

I get doing a decent speed in the fast lane on the motorway/dual carriage only to look up into my mirror to see this accelerating up behind me

or this

They sit there are tailgate me after burning all that fuel to get right up my behind ,So I move across into the middle lane to let them zoom off in their vastly superior car, but they don't they just crawl off at the same speed I was just doing or even more infuriatingly just pull across infront of me in the middle lane. WTF is it with so many BMW/Audi Drivers, is the being a cock module an optional extra to their car when they buy it?

Comment

Doesn't this blow the whole theory that councils only placed cameras to make money?

Comment

maybe it's part of a conspiracy.

I imagine each time one is burnt down it costs a few thousand quids to replace.

At least if cameras are there I know where I stand, I'll be at the mercy of lurking patrol cars if they go!

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
            They sit there are tailgate me after burning all that fuel to get right up my behind ,So I move across into the middle lane to let them zoom off in their vastly superior car, but they don't they just crawl off at the same speed I was just doing or even more infuriatingly just pull across infront of me in the middle lane. WTF is it with so many BMW/Audi Drivers, is the being a cock module an optional extra to their car when they buy it?
            I get that quite a bit too. Or even worse...they've overtaken me, then go back into my lane...then slow down and I have to over take them. It's just like they're saying "Yeah, I'm better than you. I can do this if I want...I just don't wana right now!".

Bellends.

Comment

I imagine councils thought they'd generate more money than they do. Once people know where the cameras are they become redundant.

Comment

So many cockhead drivers I encounter drive Audis. They really are the preferred drive of the Noveaux Bellends.

Comment

If speed cameras are being made redundant then they have done their job.

Unless you put profit before safety, then in that case, they have failed.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                    So many cockhead drivers I encounter drive Audis. They really are the preferred drive of the Noveaux Bellends.
                    Thats so true, in fact I'd probably extend that to all VAG drivers bar Skodas.

On topic though i generally don't like speed cameras, especially on motorways or A roads, i don't believe they help anyone, they are just for revenue purposes. That said something does need to be done about speeding in urban areas. I live on a fairly quiet street, near an infant school, 30mph, can only fit one car down at a time etc and i swear i have seen people drive at way over 50mph. Its usually the chavy boy racer brigade or the afore mentioned Audi sales rep twats, the point is though they shouldn't even be driving.

Its all about conditions and being aware of the type of environment you are driving in, but unfortunately a large percentage of the population has no common sense. The other problem is that the previous government tried to confuse our common sense, you get dual carrigeways with 30mph limits (and speed cameras of course), 40 or 50mph limits on wide open country roads, its hard to figure out what the limit of a road is any more without seeing the sign.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      I can't see it making much difference to be honest, there are always people driving on the road recklessly, I don't think speed is the only factor.

I get doing a decent speed in the fast lane on the motorway/dual carriage only to look up into my mirror to see this accelerating up behind me

or this

So so true! My ex lived in Leeds so I've made many trips up the A1 and the amount of times i experienced what you just said was unbelievable. It's about 70/30 in favour of BMW drivers but it was ALWAYS one or the other. I don't even get the fuss over BMW's anyway, they're ugly as sin. If I got one for free I'd sell it.

Comment

i find driving very frustrating as i stick to the speed limits religiously and EVERY day i see people speeding and worse driving dangerously alway wish there was a policeman just with a speed gun up ahead

Comment

The government has just released data that shows there's no statistical evidence for the benefits of speedcamers, especially when you consider other safety measures implemented over the same period that could equally account for the small decrease in accidents (20&#37.

Comment

Working...
                          X