Need advice on a bottle of wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need advice on a bottle of wine

I'm off to a bbq on the weekend with few guys from work. The guy thats holding the bbq is part of our group of staff, he's 60 yrs old ex army marine so he's lived a little, been around the world a few times & knows his wines, & I havent got a clue as I dont drink but I want to take summat along to show my appreciation.
    So can anyone recommend me a good wine for around 10 bucks & should I get red or white to go with the burgers, hot dogs & chicked that'll be scoffed?

Thanks.

Get him something to drink later. Chateau neuf du pape is a good strong red. Spend anywhere between £10 and £7000 on one of these

Comment

Blue Nun.

Comment

Yeah just get him a half bottle of Blue Nun.

Comment

A Shiraz is usually a safe bet.

Comment

another thumbs up for chateau neuf du pape normaly get a bottle form asda for £12

Comment

Gran reserva 2002 Rioja. Very smooth and quite warming. Nice with red meat.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                Chateau neuf du pape
                +1

Comment

Originally posted by icarus0 View Post
                  Blue Nun.
                  Actually, there's a Blue Nun riesling that's ok now. Avoid the Liebfrau though!

Speaking of riesling, does he like curry? If so get a Gew?rztraminer which is a medium wine that cuts through the curry flavours superbly. Remember to tell him it's to go with his next curry.

Comment

Originally posted by Number45 View Post
                    +1
                    +2.

Or a nice St Emillion

Comment

Without wanting to sound like a wine snob I do think a Chateau neuf du pape is a bit obvious. I suggest a baralo, a red from northern italy, you will have to spend between 12 - 20 pounds for a decent a bottle, but if it is a gift then you can't go wrong.
                      That said, my favourite red wine is Pinot Noir and a Marlborough New Zealand Pinot Noir is always good.

Comment

Originally posted by Randicoot View Post
                        Yeah just get him a half bottle of Blue Nun.
                        And some walnut cheese.

"Smell my cheese ya mutha!"*

*sorry. Alan Partridge made me do it.

Comment

As above, Barolo's lush, as are Barbaresco and Dolcetto from around the same area- the last one tends to be a bit cheaper too.
                          I don't know a great deal about wine but I like all of those (especially the first 2) after visiting all the little villages in the region and doing various tastings as my gf is from there. If he likes red I reckon you can't really go wrong with those.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoraths mullet View Post
                            Without wanting to sound like a wine snob
                            You failed, sir!

I'm not much into wine at all. I don't like white wine AT ALL, if I eat out I'll often go for a Rioja or Chianti (Which are both quite light I think) - I had Chateauneuf Du Pape recommended to me and liked it.

Just get him a bottle of the drink that accompanies anything:

http://www.japantrends.com/en/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/japanese-canned-bottled-water.jpg

Comment

I am sorry!

I just thought that if this man liked his wine then the Du Pape wouldn't be a surprise for him. I love wine though, both red and white.

Comment

Working...
                              X