Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Damaged goods in post - advice

I hope someone can help me with this.

I sent a DVD boxset to someone on another forum, and they claim it got smashed up in the post.

Is it right for me (or the recipient??) to put the claim in to the post office? (using form P58?)

I have proof of postage and the item is worth about ?40

Please let me know any tips for making sure this gets done right

It's all up to you to sort out. He'll need to send it back so you can prove damage to the PO.

Comment

Sorry Charles but that's not the case!

It is the recipient that needs to fill out a damaged and/or delayed mail form, not the sender. The recipient will however need your details for the form.

I guess the sender could do if he wants, but isn't the one with proof of the damaged item.

Comment

but the Claimant also needs proof of postage?

Comment

Weird. I always thought it up to the sender because they are the only one with any proof that any transaction has taken place with the post office. But it makes sense that the recipient would fill out the damage form because they have the item.

Comment

You guys! Lucky I spoke to the post office today innit? They told me it was on me to file the claim, the royal mail *may* contact the other party to check out the smashed goods or they may not it seems.

Comment

I think just downto common courtasy, you should deal with all the hassle. He purchased the item of you and was expecting it as described, if it didn't arrive that way then it shouldn't be his problem.

Comment

Be glad it arrived as royal mail have changed their policy with 1st/2nd class certificate of posting mail, if it goes missing they will just say tough we can't find it have a book of 1st class stamps (5)

Which is shocking

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                  Be glad it arrived as royal mail have changed their policy with 1st/2nd class certificate of posting mail, if it goes missing they will just say tough we can't find it have a book of 1st class stamps (5)

Which is shocking
                  That's appalling, when did they start this?

I ask because they tried this with me when some stuff I sent TonyDA on here went missing, saying I hadn't provided them with enough proof and so here's some stamps.

I wasn't having that, so sent them a print out of every single PM on here and told them I was more than happy to send them copies of the relevant parts of my bank statements if they wanted it.

There was no need, they coughed up.

Comment

It seems a recent thing as the website still says they cover upto 100 times the cost of first class stamps, maybe a postie on here can clear it up

I personally wouldn't stand for it and would have fought it all the way, but royal mail seem to be trying it on more and more

Comment

Working...
                    X