Help me identify this beastie...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me identify this beastie...

I spotted one of these creatures in my bath on the first day I moved to my current flat and have spotted another about in the last two days. Any idea what this is? I'd say it's about a centimetre long. I've also seen other ones about the building. I'd imagine they're moving through the passive ventialtion/extraction points.

Sorry about the picture quality (phone camera).

P.S. I'm aware it's Friday night and I'm doing this.
    Last edited by NW2013; 08-10-2010, 19:59.

A cm long? whoa careful man, you want me to come round and put it in a tissue for ya

Comment

Ha ha, I've already disposed of it. I'm just curious about what they are.

Comment

It's a giant bug & it's heading this way.... EDF EDF!!!!

Comment

Looks like a Weevil to me, possibly a vine weevil.

Comment

It's not a very clear photo but going on it's two foot long neck it's almost definitely a Masai Giraffe. Either that or it's maybe something that isn't a Masai Giraffe.

If I win I'd like to get the limited edition of Medal of Honor on the PS3 or possibly just some PSN points would be lovely thanks.

Comment

The first picture looks like a man with a very big head, on a tightrope.

Comment

Pictures aren't clear enough to be sure, but it looks like a Carpet Beetle to me.

Comment

Pictures don't work?

Comment

I think abigsmurf is correct having looked at some images on Google. Excellent knowledge.

Comment

Or, tell a lie, it could be a... wait for it... COCKCHAFER!!!

Man, you have no idea how long I've waited to use that on an internet forum... cock... chafer... tee hee

Comment

Ha ha, that thing is horrible. It could be an extra from Starship Troopers.

Comment

Edf! Edf!

Comment

I've had those round our house. They are sometimes bright green. Weirdest beetles i've ever seen. Don't know what type they are tho
                            Last edited by NemesiS; 08-10-2010, 23:30.

Comment

It looks like a weevil to me too but 1cm is too big for one of those isn't it?

I have seen similarly shaped insects around here that are called "Assassin bugs" but they have red spots and stripes on their abdomen, and they are 1-2cm or bigger. I have a photo I took of some that I will try to dig out.

Found the photo but I can see it's clearly not the same kind of insect:

Last edited by Darwock; 08-10-2010, 23:09.

Comment

Working...
                              X