Home lighting cabling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home lighting cabling

A quick question. I'm replacing a light fitting in my house - the current fitting has an abundance of connections going into a single terminal block and the cable itself is pretty thick - is there a way that I can tightly secure all of these cables together and present a single cable/connection into the terminal block on the new light fitting? Ideally keeping it all as compact as possible?

Because the copper is fairly thick, twisting them all together is difficult. And fitting multiple thick cables into a single medium sized terminal block is tricky. I could get a larger terminal block of course, just wondered if there was a solution to really get those multiple pieces of cable into a single manageable unit.

Can't think of any really, terminal blocks seems like the best option to me.

Comment

You can get push-fit terminal blocks, in various sizes. Not really a solution but a lot less fiddly than the screw ones.

Last edited by Nif; 13-10-2010, 15:52.

Comment

Ooh, they look good. Swung by B&Q on the way home and picked up a larger terminal block just in case, turned out the new fan/light was faulty anyway. Yay!

Comment

Its perfectly fine to block up all of the connections in a junction box or a choc box or even terminal blocks if you want. The best bet would be a junction box though. That has bigger connections for you to use. But the size of it might mean you cant get it up into the ceiling.

From the other side you can either use a small length of T+E or a flex. The flex would need to be of sufficient size, so say .75mm. Of course, the T+E would be 1.5mm, but the current rating of a single fitting would be tiny. Probably better to stick with T+E though, just as a matter of good practice as thats what the rest of the circuit would be.

Well, should be. You sure the copper is really that big? Would be strange to have something bigger than 1.5mm in domestic lighting, especially if its existing.

Comment

Working...
          X