Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for painting on canvas

Hello,

Looking to paint a bit of abstract art for my room on some canvas. I have no idea what type of canvas to get or what type of paint to use or anything else really. It's going to be done black and white with a few shades of grey, if that makes a difference?

Know theres some arty types on here so anyone wanna give me a point in the right direction please?

I was looking for a wide canvas like 1m x 30cm maybe but can't seem to find any sizes like that.

if you have an arts and craft store where you live (i bet glasgow has tons?), get down there and ask them. you'll need a canvas stretcher also, basically a wooden frame that you staple gun the canvas onto. you need to stretcher the canvas very tight onto the frame, so tight that it acts like a drum when you tap it. then you need some standard house white emultion to 'prime' it.

if your not too fussed on the quality of the canvas, and have a 'works' book store in town, they have premade canvas' on stretchers for pretty cheap.
    paint wise, look at acrylics first. they dry much much quicker than oil, which are also very messy, and expensive too. but, you get a better paint quality with oil...

maybe try some sketches first in watercolour on paper to get your composition right.

good luck

Comment

I was planning on just buying a ready to go canvas to be honest for this first attempt!

I'll be going for the acrylics then cheers. Want to just get a decent piece done and if I like it and want to go again I'll try making my own canvas or oils then. Cheers. :-)

Comment

Working...
      X