have I bought a chinese knock off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

have I bought a chinese knock off?

I recently bought Batman: The Complete Animated Series on ebay. It was from a Chinese seller, so I was cautious, but as you can see, the set looks a bit too elaborate to fake.

Looking through it when it arrived, I was quite happy. It doesn't show any of the usual signs of a rip off, with one exception. Included is a special features disc. However this is labeled as the "BUNUS OISK". If that's not suspicious, then I don't know what is.

Like I said, for the most part, it looks very legit, but are there any other ways I can tell if it's fake?

^That looks incredibly awesome, much more professional than my fake-looking but *true* Chinese boxsets of Frasier (Chinese boxsets don't always look as slick as their western counterparts but they do the job fine). I doubt it's a rip-off, but even if it is, it's a bit of a transgressive one given how well-crafted it looks.

Plus, the term "BUNUS OISK" merely adds to the awesomeness and should become part of our lexicon, sounds like a bartender from Mass Effect or a wet fart or summat.

Comment

We'd need to see a real picture rather than stock art to really say.

But "BUNUS OISK" is a clear sign that you've been diddled. Claim a PayPal chargeback - you'll most likely get to keep the item.

Can you look at the ring in the middle of the disc on the bottom side and tell me what the IFPI code is? It should say IFPI xxxx (xxxx being a code of letters and numbers which identifies where the discs were stamped).
      Last edited by Lyris; 02-11-2010, 05:50.

Comment

Paypal don't care of what you've bought through them is counterfeit , they told that themselves when I was sold a dodgy Disney disc

Comment

I went on eBay and bought a ripoff DVD which was a counterfeit of a disc that I personally encoded and authored. The e-mails I sent the guy went something like this:

Me: "This is a bootleg."

Seller: "No it's not!!! It's a genuine Asian DVD!"

Me: "That is interesting, because the evidence is completely stacked against your claim. Please be aware of the following:

The cover contains many mis-spellings of both the director and actors' names.
          Your listing describes the item as "L'important c'est d'aimer - France DVD [R2] *NEW", however in spite of this:
          The cover text is presented in [broken] English and Chinese characters.
          The disc itself has Chinese subtitles. I didn't author it that way.
          The typeface for the film's title is that of the US Mondo Vision release, which was produced by their own artwork department.
          The back cover contains numerous typing errors, in particular an inaccurate credit listing for a different film.
          The back cover and disc artwork contain a logo and website address for TF1 Video, despite the disc itself starting with a StudioCanal logo, who are the actual rightsholder for EMEA.
          The copyright warning text on the disc is severely mis-spelled."

A PayPal refund followed within 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
            Plus, the term "BUNUS OISK" merely adds to the awesomeness and should become part of our lexicon
            I agree with this...

Comment

I shall forever cherish my copy of Metroid Fusion, made by Nintondo.

Sound like it's a duffer, and you should definitely get your monies back.

Comment

Almost everything to a letter in China is fake unless you literally travel out there and buy from a "bonafide" department store, and thats harder than it sounds. Also anything legit in China is more expensive than here, at least electronics wise.

I was working out there again in Beijing a few weeks back and its just incredible. Full 5 and 6 floor shopping centres dedicated to flogging knockoff. Great if your shopping for cheap tat to sell on or for some clothes/electronics, but if your a collector after anything legitimate i would give it a swerve as its very difficult to ascertain its authenticity, never mind buying over the net.

Like was posted, stick up a pic of the actual set rather than a stock pic, but its almost pound to a penny you have a counterfeit set. The copies though in a lot of cases are very very good and are usually only let down in the translation and spelling on cases and boxes etc.

You could try a cashback from Paypal using the "goods not as described" excuse scammers use. Other than that, if its decent enough, i wouldn't worry about it. The only issues with fake DVDs, is the burn quality from repeated watches.

Comment

Not entirely relevant I know, for which I apologise, but I watched a programme recently about the counterfeiting industry in China.

They actualy showed some backstreet chemists making fake eggs ... that you can eat!!!

Fake eggs!!!!

Comment

Fake or not if it all plays fine & looks that awesome I'd keep it anyway.

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                      Fake or not if it all plays fine & looks that awesome I'd keep it anyway.

Neil
                      My thoughts exactly. But i think some people, quite rightly, are particular about having a genuine item. More so if they have paid for what they thought was genuine only to find it may be a copy.

Out of curiosity Mek, what did you pay as opposed to getting it from somewhere else?

Comment

I'm going to call the next track I make 'BUNUS OISK'.

I'm deadly serious.

Comment

I hope Charlie Chisolm doesn't visit this thread or he will be feeling the OP's collar!

Comment

Do these people who knock out these copies actually know what a SPELLCHECKER is?

Comment

Originally posted by Supergoal View Post
                              Do these people who knock out these copies actually know what a SPELLCHECKER is?

I doubt they do since the Japanese are just as bad. It's as if they are afraid to hit the spell checker button.

Comment

Working...
                              X