North Korea's missiles again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

North Korea's missiles again...

I heard the news about another missile launch earlier today but didn't think much about it, Japanese news always goes into overdrive when North Korea so much as sneezes. I assumed it was another test.

I've just seen the TV though and it appears they actually hit a town(?) in Korea -footage of burning buildings in pretty populated area. All I've heard is that Korea attempted to shoot down the missile. Has this made the news in the UK? If it was a genuine aggressive attack then gawd knows what's going to happen next.

Originally posted by Darwock View Post
    I heard the news about another missile launch earlier today but didn't think much about it, Japanese news always goes into overdrive when North Korea so much as sneezes. I assumed it was another test.

I've just seen the TV though and it appears they actually hit a town(?) in Korea -footage of burning buildings in pretty populated area. All I've heard is that Korea attempted to shoot down the missile. Has this made the news in the UK? If it was a genuine aggressive attack then gawd knows what's going to happen next.

We are being told it's artillery, no news on missiles, but this maybe a media blackout? So sad to see this happening, the world does not need another war.

From BBC:

North and South Korea exchange dozens of artillery shells across their tense western sea border, in one of the most serious incidents since the Korean War ended without a ceasefire in 1953. Two South Korean soldiers were killed on Yeonpyeong island and more than a dozen people were hurt.

Comment

It's all over the news here. Well that and the Royal wedding.

Comment

And I thought it would just be Gran Turismo 5.

Artillery? Explains why I wasn't getting any results past 2009 from my googling of 'missile'. Nasty stuff if it's open hostility from both sides.

Comment

It's a repeat of the whole 'your boats sailed into our water so we'll shell your nearest bases to the border' 'no they didn't, best we'd better shell you back then' that's been going on for decades.

It's not in North Korea's interest to kick off an actual conflict again. It would lose it this time, because they have a lot less support from their communist neighbours now.

Comment

Well, technically artillery shells are missiles but... I'll get my coat.

Comment

Yeah it's dominating the news here. Hell, it's big enough news that they've even stopped going on about the China/Japan island dispute for 3 seconds.

My understanding is that North Korea shot artillery at a South Korean island which, whilst in South Korean-controlled sea, is right next to the North Korean mainland. Sounds like it's quite largely populated, surprising given it was always a pretty damn vunerable place. The South Korean leadership isn't interpreting this as an act of war, desipte their counter-attack, more just North Korea flexing their muscles, but with one confirmed death already, this is pretty serious.

Comment

Personally I would have though the last incident and the sinking of the South Korean ship with the loss of 40-odd lives was a bigger issue than this, but clearly everyone's fed up stories about the Irish being broke, so the British media have decided to try and convince us that we'll all be getting WW3 as a Xmas present.

I give it all of a day before NK issues a statement blaming an inaccuracy with Google Maps and they thought they were firing on their own people.

In Communist North Korea, artillery fires you!
                Last edited by Spatial; 23-11-2010, 20:29. Reason: it was a ship that sank, not a sub (the sub did the torpedo'ing of the ship)

Comment

I'm not hearing much here. People are too busy working 70hrs a week to give a **** about the end of the world.

Comment

Due to the stalemate between these 2 countries, unfortunately this will be forgotten about in a couple of days time.

Neither side can afford a full on conflict, nor the region as a whole for that matter.

Its sabre rattling at its most loudest.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by abigsmurf View Post
                        I've resisted all day as this was a serious thread, but he started it, so I'm posting this

NSFW

Comment

Guys, guys, where is your sense of perspective?
                          Nukes, ships, wars - don't you know there's a ROYAL WEDDING between that horsey looking fellow and some woman? It's headline news!

Comment

I happen to think that wedding is actually one of the most important things to happen to this country*

*at least I do now I'm getting a free day off out of it! Long live what's his name and whose her face!

Comment

I was going to start a new Off Topic with the title:

---
                              KOREA ATOMIC BOMB MY BODY! - 한국은 내 원자 몸을 폭발!
                              ---

But then I found this topic.

So. Nuclear annihilation. Thoughts, chaps?

My mate Derrick, right, says that this is all just a ruse by China, who asked North Korea to go all crazy for a little while, during the BRICS summit they were involved in, so China could do some sneaky deals while the world wasn't looking, due to being too focused on N Korea.

After they've done their deals N Korea will calm down and we'll discover that China owns Africa.

At least, that's what Derrick thinks.

Comment

Working...
                              X