Judgement Day - a step closer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Judgement Day - a step closer

Since 2007, researchers at Tokyo University's ISI Lab have been working on a prototype of a running robot, which we've seen several of in the past. Athlete Robot (as it is seemingly dubbed) is a little bit different though. While it hasn't outwardly been given the humanoid treatment in any significant way, technologically, it works very much like a human. As you'll see in the video below, early prototypes of the bot which were less 'human' like in design didn't function as well as the newer version, which boasts McKibben artificial muscles and a biologically correct musculoskeletal system. Now, the robot still can't run very far without falling over, but it's impressive to watch its movements nonetheless.

Plus the AI side of things:

IBM prepares for a artificial intelligence showdown which will see one of its supercomputers take on two human contestants on a TV quiz show.

Let's hope the headcrabs get us before our own machines do.

AI + Super Fast Robot + Gun + Computer virus = Conkers bad fur day.

If they can build one that doesn't fall over we shall all be doomed.

"I want your clothes, your boots and your built up shoe plz".

Comment

Jesus, it even falls over the same way a human with no arms would!

Comment

I like the way it falls - onto it's knees like a real person might do, not just collapsing into a pile of parts.

Comment

I, for one, etc, etc.

Comment

Funniest Robot Home Videos.

Comment

We can run anyway. Robots should be built to do stuff we can't do. It's a waste of time.

Comment

Yep, never mind autonomous beings, I want Mech's and Transhumanism in my life time or I'll be gutted.

Comment

Maybe if they can build a robot that can sneeze and keep its eyes open at the same time. That would be worth it.

But running ... pfft ... even a lard-bucket like vanpeebles can do that. Especially if there's a ring-hungry fammyDood chasing him.

Comment

I wouldn't describe that robot as an athlete.

Comment

Working...
                    X