Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help me change my life/job - Please look in and help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help me change my life/job - Please look in and help!

I've had a lot of 'down' luck in recent months despite me being happily married and what with the arrival of my first baby daughter... But at the age of 37, I'm currently jobless!
    Instead of sitting on my arse all day not doing anything, I've decided that I want to take my first steps into going back to studying (in order for me getting back to full time work).

Now to cut a long story short, I'm trying to delve into the world of IT networking BUT I have no idea where to start and I have no experience at all.

Someone recommended me a CISCO CCNA course but I think that might be a little too hard for a total novice like me.

Can someone give me a heads up on where to start? Over to you guys...

EDIT - Not helpful.

Stay positive.
    Last edited by ShadowDancer; 28-12-2010, 03:05.

Comment

You can start using a Cisco router for your internet connection.
      It gets you used to IOS and the hardware.

Comment

have you looked at http://www.learndirect.co.uk/browse/homeofficeit? they do a Cisco CCNA course. Entry requirements state
        This course is for anyone preparing for the Cisco CCNA exam. It is designed for IT professionals looking to gain globally recognised certification. There are no formal entry requirements, although a good working knowledge of computers and IT is essential.
        might be worth speaking to them

Comment

I honestly thought you were like 23 when I've met you! Very youthful appearence.

With those CISCO courses I was always under the impression they were kind of proof that you know what you are talking about. Probably not the best place to start if you don't know the subject at all.
          A friend of mine is doing a distance learning course from somewhere and it seems very comprehensive, I'll find out who it's with.

Comment

Hi! I hope you find some direction soon.

Maybe you could consider an IT support role where you could get some experience of networking in a real situation and do some training.

You'll be on crappy money to start with, but I can't think of many jobs where you start on megabucks with no training!

Have a mooch on cwjobs.com and see what there is.

I feel totally painted into a corner in my job as I've received no training in 6 years and will have to go back to square one if I change careers too.

Good luck, sir!

Comment

Hi Phil,

I'm in a polar opposite situation. As you know I'm project managing a very capable team of web pros on foreign soil (finally), however at what seems to be the pinnacle of my career I can see how worthless it all really is. If web designers/marketers don't turn up for work or all die suddenly then I don't think the world would miss them one bit. On the other hand what would happen if all the bin men or sewage workers disappeared?

I'm actually looking at a career change into something more meaningful. I quite fancy social work as I could become buff again and destroy baby-beating chav tossers. That's a job I fancy, and it's quite well paid. All this of course relies upon a serious discussion with my GF who is also in the design industry, and isn't seeing any benefits. Like most Chinese people she's sincerely hard working but there's only so long you can push 18hrs a day before you begin to crack. I couldn't even play WoW/FFXI for that long.

I'd think carefully mate as once you study and graduate again you have what, 10-15 years before you are in your 50's at which point the prospect of being backed by a decent pension comes into play. I'm 30 in March and I need to work out something meaningful I want to do. Even all the dream jobs I had in mind when growing up don't seem that attractive anymore after spending 15yrs in front of Photoshop.

Not a helpful post really, but you're not alone at least. And I'm sure it won't be long before there are one or two Chinese/Fallows crossbreeds running around bleeding cash out of me.

Comment

start here -

these profiles will help you identify realistic options and the learning path necessary to accredition.

Go speak to a careers advisor - they will help you explore your options and revamp your CV

Enquire about 'steps to work' with your personal advisor at the job centre (this may be a bit different in England); They may be able to help you fund a course and help you with a return to work.

If you are going back into learning (PT), tailor you CV to demonstate skills you have so at least you can learn as you earn doing something.

The IT sector is highly competive - just doing a course will not guarentee you a job.

Consider voluntary options to build skills - many voluntary organisation may be able to allow a placement - you need to start demonstrating practical experience in IT, even if its a lower level.
                Last edited by dvdx2; 28-12-2010, 18:15.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                  I honestly thought you were like 23 when I've met you! Very youthful appearence.

With those CISCO courses I was always under the impression they were kind of proof that you know what you are talking about. Probably not the best place to start if you don't know the subject at all.
                  A friend of mine is doing a distance learning course from somewhere and it seems very comprehensive, I'll find out who it's with.
                  You're too kind mate! I knw I look young... haha

Yeah, if you find out from your friend what it is, that would be a start for me, cheers!

Comment

dataDave, if it don't work out for me here in the UK, I maybe moving to Singapore so I can beat you at Street Fighter once again!

Comment

I found a f**king mint arcade man. It has everything apart from Virtua Fighter.

HUGE LAN centre with StarcraftII/WoW
                      4 player HD Ready Daytona.
                      ALL Capcom fighters.
                      ALL KoFs.
                      A f**kload of Tekken and SF4 (meh).

It's just too bad I never have time to go there, and it's on the way home too.

Comment

dvdx2, thanks for the infomation.

I'll look into that website. It seems very helpful but what do you mean exactly by 'demonstrating practical experience in IT'.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai View Post
                          dvdx2, thanks for the infomation.

I'll look into that website. It seems very helpful but what do you mean exactly by 'demonstrating practical experience in IT'.
                          ok, career advisor hat on...

No employer is going to recruit you unless you can demonstrate the practical 'doing' element of the job in a paid or voluntary capacity. The more experience you build, the more added value you are bringing to them.

I have guys who come for guidance all the time, for example thinking a PRINCE2 course will make them a project manager. Building the skills are the most important thing ONCE you have decided to embark on a career path. DO NOT DO AN EXPENSIVE COURSE AND HOPE IT WILL GET YOU A JOB!!

For example - you do a professional IT course then what? You are going to be up against guys with years of practical experience and probably the accrediation, required for the industry etc etc

Dont even think about a course until you have have proper guidance -

Other things i would advise;

Get the internet/local papers for vacancies in IT, note what are employers looking for, how much experience do they want, what accrediation are they looking for??

speak to the the course tutor or provider - ask them about previous students sucess; where are they now? did the course get them a job?

It may be better for you (if you are certain about a career in IT) to explore options that require less alittle less experience and expensive qualifications.

What about hardware maintence and upgrading (A+ certification), web design/multimedia HNC (3 years though), IT support in a school? These will still require undertaking awards and building quals and experience and will give you a boost towards more weighty positions in IT sector for the future.

Bear in mind career change is full of highs an lows - in this climate the competition is fierce. You are competing not only with graduates holding the award at degree level (and probably a fair bit of work placement) as well as the massive amount of people, newly made redundant.

Is it the right time to be thinking about changing career?

As i said before, go speak to a careers advisor, get an action plan drawn up and start chipping away at it. But do your research again and again and again.

good luck!
                          Last edited by dvdx2; 28-12-2010, 19:15.

Comment

Will do, dvdx2... Thanks for all your help!!

Comment

Working...
                            X