Beating the VAT increase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beating the VAT increase

Instead of eating a whole pizza, I'm going to throw the last 2.5% away.

Twitter should reduce its message lengths from 140 characters to 136.

I'm only going to buy things in sales that specify "2.5% OFF!!"

Instead of being awake for 16 hours a day, I'm going to go to bed 20 minutes early.

I will decrease the lengths of all my posts on NTSC-UK by 2.5%.

What are you going to do to beat the V-

Stop paying for things.

If the government are going to go all Sheriff of Nottingham on our asses, then I like to think I'm entitled to a little five finger discount.

How about they just massively increase tax on things which contribute to liver failure and/or cancer, such as alcohol and cigs. If an excessive tax on such goods don't force people to quit and live far healthier and longer then they'll single handedly eliminate the country's massive debt! It's a win-win.

This current situation however, is not.

Comment

Okay, you can steal, but only 2.5% of things.

When I have sex, I'll do it 2.5% quicker. 7.1 se-

Comment

When I'm walking to the shop, I'll stop 2.5% away and turn around and go home aga-

Comment

Have we been given any idea about when/if the rate will go down ag-

Comment

No, not yet, but the way they claim it'll make £13bn a year suggests, well, at least a year!

Listening to the football on Five Live now, going to turn it off in the 88th min-

Comment

This thread is all well and good bu-

Comment

Originally posted by Daragon View Post
                Stop paying for things.

If the government are going to go all Sheriff of Nottingham on our asses, then I like to think I'm entitled to a little five finger discount.

How about they just massively increase tax on things which contribute to liver failure and/or cancer, such as alcohol and cigs. If an excessive tax on such goods don't force people to quit and live far healthier and longer then they'll single handedly eliminate the country's massive debt! It's a win-win.

This current situation however, is not.
                Smokers and drinkers quitting overnight would be a very, very bad thing for this country.

Comment

Originally posted by neoboy259 View Post
                  Smokers and drinkers quitting overnight would be a very, very bad thing for this country.
                  That's just it though, how many would physically be able to quit in the face of huge tax increases?

Ok, so perhaps a huge burden on alcohol probably won't work, but cigs sure, why not? Plus, watching grown men and women whimper in the streets would be rather amusing, so free entertainment is another positive!

Comment

if everybody instantly quits smoking and drinking, aside from the obvious lack of tax revenue there, a massively higher percentage of people will live a lot longer meaning higher state pension payouts, i'm no economist but it does seem the unhealthier we are the more the country as a whole benefits, which is weird.

although after writing the above it's also occured to me if everybody did quit they'd have more cash to splash on other stuff which would also help, i just don't know which scenario would be more beneficial

Comment

But how much money is wasted by the Emergency services dealing with alcohol related issues and the police with crimes?
                      Last edited by 'Press Start'; 04-01-2011, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                        Have we been given any idea about when/if the rate will go down ag-
                        The answer from one of the cabinet stooges on the news this evening was

"I won't be drawn into trying to predict the economic climate in the future blah blah blah no straight answer..."

I think we've seen the last of 17.5% (or lower) for quite some ti-

Comment

NSPCC called asking for £2 a month to help abused children. Told them I couldn't afford more than £1.96 so I'm keeping it.

Anyone know the football resu-

Comment

DFS have announced that due to the VAT increase, for one week a year there won't be a sale on and people will have to pay full pri-

Comment

Hey Charles, what makes you think that VAT will go back to 17.5? It didn't go back after the last rise form 15pc back in 1991 (under Thatcher's government). Most taxes don't ever go down, unless for a voter bribe or temporay gimmick like with Brown's government!

Comment

Working...
                              X