Buckled wheels MOT help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buckled wheels MOT help!

After a recent visit to a garage, my focus was put on the ramp and it was noted that my Two front alloys had buckled on the inside...

Now my MOT is due in march and I'm not sure if it will pass with them! I don't fancy paying ?80 per alloy for a ford garage if I can avoid it, so I took it to a garage to have a look... He didn't put it on the ramp, but had a look on the outside and said they looked fine, that he is an MOT tester and that the MOT only looks at the tyres.

Now he obviously didn't look on the inside, so I was wondering if anyone had any more clue about this than I do? I'm useless with cars!!

Thanks guys

Tried ebay or a breakers?

Comment

I wouldn't even know what to look for haha, I know nowt about cars at all!!

Comment

Well what do the wheels look like? What size etc? Usually Ford wheels have a name that gets attached to them.

Comment

how would i find that out? im crap I know

Comment

How about a pic?

Comment

Shall do tomorrow !! Thanks for the help, I know im a pain

Comment

TYRES/WHEELS

Tyre condition
                A failure with respect to tyre wear will result where:-
                The grooves of the tread pattern are not at least 1.6mm throughout a continuous band comprising:
                • Central 3/4 of the breadth of tread
                • Entire outer circumference of the tyre.

Tyres must be correctly matched with regard to:
                • Type
                • Size
                • Structure
                • Location on the vehicle with respect to the axles.

Also examined:
                • General condition of tyre
                • Condition of valve

Tyres fail if they have serious cuts, bulges or other damage. The wear on the tyre is checked with a tyre tread depth gauge to ensure compliance. The tyres are examined to ensure that there is no fouling with any part of the vehicle.

Note:
                The condition of the spare tyre is not part of the MOT.

Wheel condition
                Inspection to reveal:
                • Damage
                • Distortion

• Cracks
                • Distorted bead rims
                • How securely attached to the vehicle
                • No wheel-nuts or studs missing
                They'll get you with "distortion" I think.

Comment

A google says that it depends and that people do get away with it, in my case you can't really feel anything but a shake of the steering at motorway speeds... Hmm

Comment

Seriously.

Are you happy with 50% of your contact with the road being potentially dangerous?

It's not a case of 'getting away with it'. It could be the difference between life and death. £160 for new, less than that 2nd hand. A small price to pay to keep yourself and equally important the rest of road users safe.

Lecture over.

Comment

It is safe to drive, and two garages have confirmed that to me... This is really just a question because of my complete uselessness with cars

Comment

I have a Ford Fiesta as a 2nd car and the Ford garage also noted this. It has passed subsequent MOTs fine. It is either Ford being over-enthusiastic or trying to lever more money out of us.
                        I would as a precaution have the front and rear wheels swapped. It also helps to balance tyre wear on a FWD car.

Comment

If they're not that bad, it's probably ok for now. I doubt an MOT station would pick up on it, an MOT isn't the most strict thing in the world, and is fairly opinion based (obviously with the exception of things that are clearly broken, or measured like light beams and emissions).

This is presuming you don't take it back to the diagnosing garage for the MOT I suppose?!

Dirty Sanchez makes a good point about the safety aspect though and I'd be considering looking for some others. Keep in mind that 2nd hand ones might not be much better, and cheapo alloys like some of the halfrauds 'bargains' are just crap, will be soft alloy, and will end up the same (presumably this is caused by kerbing or something?)

Actually, big thumbs up to Dirty Sanchez, the amount of people that never consider the safety aspect is crazy. 4 tiny little contact patches hold your life in balance every time you get in a car. Considered by most as an inconvenient and a horrible cost, it's one of my pet hates, and now almost always an immediate cost when I buy another car... Decent tyres anyone?

Also, smouty.. Have a google, michelin (and others) now recommend NOT putting less grippy tyres on the rear, even on a FWD car. It makes no sense to me, but presumably too many people have been running baldy rear and getting lift of over steer in their silly powered hot hatches or something.

Chris

Comment

If you have 4 new tyres I'd still swop em round after so many miles just to even the wear out.

Comment

Originally posted by Corranga View Post
                              Also, smouty.. Have a google, michelin (and others) now recommend NOT putting less grippy tyres on the rear, even on a FWD car. It makes no sense to me, but presumably too many people have been running baldy rear and getting lift of over steer in their silly powered hot hatches or something.

Chris
                              The cynic in me says this is just another marketing ploy to get you to buy more.
                              Not really a problem on a 1.2 Fiesta anyway but it makes sense to not put your life at risk.
                              I should have added a proviso that only if all four tyres were still OK.

Comment

Working...
                              X