Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Renting & having your place refurbished?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting & having your place refurbished?

Hi peeps, before I go and bother our landlord I wondered what the deal/rights are with regards to having your place done up?

First assumption would be that it's up to the landlord to decide if he should do some work. It's not like our place is falling apart but it could definitely do with a lick of paint.

Anyone have an idea, cheers.

Ask your landlord you dorbeck! its different for each place surely

Comment

Get it cast iron.

Years back we rented a place and wanted a refresh, agreed we would do the work etc. Nice job and looked spanking. Landlord tried to keep the deposit when we left as he didn't like the colour, even though we agreed what is was going to be and even gave him samples.

Get it in writing.

Comment

I think Sanchez has got it bang on there. Best to be safe than sorry.

I rented a place about 4 yrs ago. Place was a dump full of damp & the paint scheme was knocked out in some cheapo ****ty colours that the previous tennant must have got on the cheap, so we repainted in much nicer colours. Landlord was ok with us doing it (yeah because he wasnt paying!!) however afterwards he said he wasnt too keen & would have prefered to have used his 1950's colour scheme of browns, dark greys & beiges (yeah right, f**k off!!).

Getting the bond back wasnt a prob when we left as it made the house look a lot nicer so he couldnt complain really.

Comment

Yeah, it depends on your landlord. I've spoken to mine due to what's happened to me recently and explained that I need to change the decor to make it "my" flat rather than "mine & the missus" and he has given me carte blanche to do what I want.

Obviously I'm going to be sensible but it's an opportunity to make the flat my own so I can start creating new memories in my man's pad!!

EDIT: Saying that my Landlord is exceptional. I want to move my living room round but to do so means taking the gas fireplace off the wall and capping the gas line. No problems! He truly is brilliant.

Comment

thanks for the words guys, basically i'm going to have to just ask. Our landlord is reasonably cool but he's also a giant brute of a drunk scot.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
              Get it cast iron.

Years back we rented a place and wanted a refresh, agreed we would do the work etc. Nice job and looked spanking. Landlord tried to keep the deposit when we left as he didn't like the colour, even though we agreed what is was going to be and even gave him samples.

Get it in writing.
              Something similar happened to me some years back - we agreed colours etc, then when we moved out the landlord's agent tried to claim the the job wasn't 'professional'.

Comment

Working...
              X