The shmup thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shmup thread

You can't have an import thread without a dedicated shmup thread, so here it is.
    I've just started playing deathsmiles 2 and while I love the gameplay the polygon visuals aren't very nice at all.

To be honest while I loved the original DS (probably my bestest shotty everer) DS2 has just left me cold.

The whole graphical change & stupid boss animations wind me up no end & I think I've only played it maybe 3/4 times in the months I've owned.

Should really consider passing it on I think as it's a shame it's just gathering dust.

Neil

Comment

Um, not import and old but I have been playing Gunbird 2. It's PAL but 60 hz and pretty much the closest I get to palying a bullet hell shooter.

Oh and it cost 99p!

Comment

Can we talk about retro? I want to talk about Bari Arm. And Rayxanber.

Comment

I most certainly think so.

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
            To be honest while I loved the original DS (probably my bestest shotty everer) DS2 has just left me cold.

The whole graphical change & stupid boss animations wind me up no end & I think I've only played it maybe 3/4 times in the months I've owned.

Should really consider passing it on I think as it's a shame it's just gathering dust.

Neil
            Agreed. I've no idea why they've gone in such a strange direction. The bullet patterns are nice, but it looks so ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
              Can we talk about retro? I want to talk about Bari Arm. And Rayxanber.
              I'd presume yes, as they are import.

Neil, I know what you mean about Smiles 2. The graphical style just put me off straight away and left me without the urge to import and like you, I'd probably say the original is my fave shooter ever.

Comment

I wanna get a PC Engine for some caravan shooting!

Comment

I can recommend Summer Carnival 92 Alzadick.

Used to play that loads back in the day trying to beat my highscores.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                    Agreed. I've no idea why they've gone in such a strange direction. The bullet patterns are nice, but it looks so ugly.
                    Originally posted by FamiDude View Post
                    Neil, I know what you mean about Smiles 2. The graphical style just put me off straight away and left me without the urge to import and like you, I'd probably say the original is my fave shooter ever.
                    I just find it so strange that Cave can go from something so amazing to something so terrible.
                    I feel there was no reason to change the style it worked well originally.

When I first heard about 2 I was super hyped as I expected more of the same but what we got was just an abomination.

Like you said Strider the patterns are good & work well but when the graphics are so bad elsewhere that it just detracts from it all...a shame as I dearly wanted to love it.

Neil

Comment

Deathsmiles II has really grown on me over the months. Still prefer the look of the first one though.

Comment

I'm not normally a graphic whore but I'd arge that the original has some of the most beautiful sprite design that ive ever seen. It truely is a beautiful looking game

Comment

Appreciating visuals doesn't make you a graphic whore. And I agree, sprites look great.

Almost as nice as 3s.. lol

Comment

Nothing wrong with some sprite love...I still think the whole style of Cotton on the PC-E & Saturn is simply stunning & IMO the precursor to the whole loligoth style of Death Smiles.

love my little witches

Neil

Comment

Look lovely with scanlines.. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X